Chapter 15 - Stronger

Start from the beginning

“Try harder. Try as if your life depended on it, because at this point your life, along with the lives of all of us, do.”

Elyssa took a deep breath and raised her hands up into the air. She cupped her hands and slowly a light blue glow began emanating from within them. Larger and larger it grew in size. She could feel the warmth of the energy she was holding as it sent tingles through her fingers and arms.

“That’s it Elyssa. Just a little bit more. Focus. More...focus...,” she urged her on as the ball grew in size. It wasn’t long before it was the size of a basketball, hovering between Elyssa’s hands. The center radiated a brilliant blue, and then started to turn to a lustrous purple of intense light.

“Okay, now feel it. Feel every little bit of energy that ball has until it feels like a part of you. Control it, and bend it to your thoughts,” Alicia continued. The center became brighter and all of a sudden flashed in a blinding light.

“That’s it!” Alicia called out as she covered her eyes. Elyssa could feel an overpowering warmth within her hands. It felt as if her skin was about to melt off of her fingers. Forcing herself to ignore the pain, she followed Alicia’s encouragement. The blazing light in the center wavered in and out of existence as she tried to concentrate.

“Okay, now when you feel like you have control over it and it’s at its strongest, will it towards the target as if it’s part of you.”

Another deep breath. The pain was becoming almost too much for Elyssa to handle. She glanced at the rock sitting not more than twenty yards away, and then back at the large charge of energy between her hands. Focusing as intensely as possibly, she thrusted her hands forward and felt the fierce heat immediately die down as the energy sprung with force from her fingers.

The air cracked loudly with energy...and then nothing. The large ball of energy that had shot from Elyssa’s hands fizzled and died not more than a few yards in front of her to her dismay. She shook her head in disappointment, and looked over to see that Alicia was doing the same.

“It’s okay. We just need to practice more I guess,” Alicia finally said as she sat down to rest on a large boulder not far from Elyssa.

“Should I try again?”

“No. Rest for a few minutes and then we’ll have another go at it.” Elyssa nodded and took a seat beside her. For several long moments they sat in silence until Elyssa finally spoke up.

“Can I ask you something...about Shannon?”

Alicia smiled and nodded.

“I don’t quite understand the interest everyone’s taken in her. I mean...I get it’s safest for her with us, but I get the feeling there’s something more that no one is saying about it. It’s kind of like everyone’s in on a secret except for me.”

“When the time comes you’ll understand. There’s no point in dwelling upon sad times that haven’t happened yet.”

“Wait! What do you mean sad times?” Elyssa asked with alarm in her voice.

Alicia merely smiled wearily, and patted her on the leg before getting back to her feet.

“Back to work.”

“...but,” Elyssa started to protest.

“No buts. We’ve got work to do.”

With that, Elyssa stood and walked back to where she had been standing previously. She closed her eyes again, trying to concentrate on forming another ball of energy.

“Hold on a second.” Alicia suddenly stated. Elyssa stopped, letting the ball of energy harmlessly dissipate in her hands.

“What are you thinking when you’re casting the spell?”