The Medium (Chapter 5)

Chapter 5

For once, Scarlett wasn't wearing her combat boots. Her mom had gave Scarlett a lecture the other night on how wearing muddy boots was unlady like. She had told her that she was never lady like. All her life, she had been a complete tomboy. It was crazy how her mother thought that, just like that, Scarlett could become instant girly-girl. So Scarlett ended up wearing heels to school.

Scarlett walked into the school and Evan was waiting at the lockers where they always met. He stood there, staring at Scarlett.

"Um...Scarlett?"

Scarlett turned to face him. "Yeah?" She said casually.

Evan just pointed to her shoes. Scarlett looked down and rolled her eyes.

"My mom made me wear them because she thought wearing combat boots was 'unlady like'."

Evan just laughed. "Your mom sure is a formal kind of lady."

Scarlett scoffed. "Ya think?"

She slammed her locker shut and walked down the hall to go to homeroom. Jessica was sitting at her desk, reading Twilight. Scarlett plunked into the seat beside Jessica and turned to her.

"Hows the book?" Scarlett asked, resting her chin in her hand.

"Good." Jessica said, without looking up.

Wow, Scarlett thought. She didn't expect things to be this awkward. Jessica then closed the book and looked at Scarlett.

"Are you ever going to tell me why you ditched me?"

Scarlett was speechless. She thought Jessica would have forgotten about it by now. Scarlett was about to answer, when Mrs. Wittencourt walked in.

"Hello class." She sang.

There were a few mumbles and "Hi's" tossed around. Mrs.Wittencourt turned to the class, her hand on her hip.

"I said, Hello class."

"HI!" One of the kids in the back of the class yelled. Mrs. Wittencourt just laughed, her skirt swaying.

"Thank you, Mr. Stephens." She smiled. Mrs.Wittencourt then turned to the board and started writing notes for them to copy. Scarlett grabbed her favorite purple pen, and began writing. When Scarlett looked up to copy the last note, she froze.

"The spirit boy.." She whispered.

The spirit boy was standing in front of Mrs.Wittencourt. He caught her eye and winked at her. She didn't move. It was as if she was paralyzed. Scarlett rubbed her eyes and then he was gone. She sighed.

"It was just my imagination." She said to herself.

"No it wasn't." A voice said. Scarlett looked up and saw the spirit boy again, in front of her desk. Scarlett was so startled, she fell off her chair.

The class turned to look at her. She blushed, then got back up and wiped her dark red skinny jeans.

"Um, Mrs. Wittencourt?" Scarlett called.

"Yes?" Mrs.Wittencourt replied, without looking up from the board.

"May I use the bathroom?" She asked, nervously.

Mrs.Wittencourt just nodded. Scarlett then stalked out of the room, her heels clicking against the floor. Once she got into the bathroom, the spirit boy was waiting for her.

"What do you want!?" Scarlett hissed. She had enough of this spirit boy.

He just stared at her. He walked over and stood so close to Scarlett, she could feel his energy. He looked two dimensional. So flat. But yet, so real. He put his hand to her cheek. Her cheek then turned cold, even if it was 30 degree's.

"Your so beautiful.." He whispered.

Scarlett was confused. And scared. She just stood there, not knowing what to say.

Then, Hailey walked into the bathroom. Hailey stood there, just staring at Scarlett. The spirit boy then disappeared and Scarlett was left alone, just standing there.

"Freak.." She heard Hailey mumble.

Maybe just this once....Hailey was right.