We walk in silence for a minute before he says something. "Are you alright?" I nod, then reply, "Yeah, I'm fine. I can't believe Matt would cheat on me like that," biting my lip to prevent any traitor tears.

Martijn replies with a small laugh. "Are you serious?" I nod, feeling a bit hurt. What's so funny about my boyfriend cheating on me? "You're more worried about your stupid boyfriend than about that idiot that tried to... mess around with you?"

I shrug. "I don't know, I mean, Dylan was drunk when he did that."

Martijn scoffs. "Girls."

I don't know what to say to this, so to try and assuage any awkwardness, I change the subject. "So... if you're a world famous DJ and stuff, how did you end up in tiny Boca?"

Martijn gives me a smirk. "Sorry if I offended you by being here, kid. Are you suddenly the second best DJ here or something?" I shrug off his insult and roll my eyes. "No, I just don't understand how Famous DJ and Tiny Town go together."

Martijn

"Ohhh, I got you," I say in mock understanding. "Nah, Spinnin wanted me to move here to promote my career and they think a smaller town is smarter than a big city like LA or New York or something cause it shows I'm not in it for the money and stuff."

I glance at her to see if she bought it. I mean, I did move here to work on music so I can eventually expand my career and stuff, but that's not the reason we had to move. But she doesn't need to know that.

I feel bad for her, to be honest. What a rough night. First seeing her boyfriend kissing another girl and then having some guy trying to get handsy with her. Geez, leave the girl alone. That's why I gave her my coat, cause I feel bad for her... and I can empathize. I know how she's feeling.

And cause she's a tiny bit cute. And cause she's... different... my mind whispers to me. I try to withhold the choking sound that comes from my throat at the name and face that appear in my mind's eye.

Madi gives me a weird look. "Woah, what was that noise?" I shrug, "Just got something in my throat." I cough weakly, unconvincingly. "Okay..." She says, and I can tell she doesn't believe me, but doesn't want to press the matter any further.

We reach her back porch and I let go of her hand, which I realize I've been holding the whole time.

"Um, you, wanna come in? I don't know," she says awkwardly.

I shake my head. "It's late and I need to go home. See you sometime."

I turn and leave before she can protest. I can hear her shy "Thank you, Martijn," following my ears as I walk away. Only when a gust of wind from the ocean hits me just before I step inside my house do I realize she still has my jacket.

I hurry upstairs, waving to my parents sitting on the couch before closing the door to my room and falling flat on my face over my chair which I had foolishly left in the middle of the room.

"Stupid chair," I mutter, kicking it aside and laying down on my bed. "That's what I get for giving some girl I met five days ago my stupid jacket." I kick off my clothes and pull on sweatpants, grabbing my laptop and chucking it carelessly on my bed.

I stick my headphones on and open a new melody I've working on. I should probably make this a collab. I have no idea what to do after this part. I try a few different note combinations but nothing sounds good.

I close the program and set my laptop on a chair before jumping back in bed and pulling a sheet over myself. Even though it's cold tonight, it's usually much too hot here in Florida. I miss Amsterdam.

Too bad you can't go back, my mind cruelly mutters. I want to smash my own head in when the images flash through my head. I shut my eyes tight until stars dance in front of them. Then a more pleasing image. Madi.

I roll over, smiling a little at the thought of her wearing my jacket. Then I frown. I can't think about her. I'm still trying to get... her... back. I can't even say her name. It hurts too much  No. If I get too attached to Madi, or attached at all, I've just arranged my own funeral. Tomorrow I'm going to pretend that tonight never happened, that I never gave a anything about anybody but her. 

It's better that way, I convince myself, and fall asleep.

Madi

It's hard to believe that Martijn just got sent to live here when he's as famous as he is. If they want to develop his career, why not send him to a big city like New York or LA? That doesn't make any sense.

It's also weird how much nicer he was tonight. Did he have a change of heart or something? Cause he was a total jerk at school and stuff. Maybe he feels like the pressure is off now that school is over.

Or maybe... does Matt breaking up with me have anything to do with it? Now that I'm not in a relationship he doesn't have to worry about getting between us. But that doesn't make any sense either. Martijn was a jerk even before he figured out that I had a boyfriend.

I imagine a dozen other reasons of why, my brain jumping from conclusion to conclusion before I get a great idea. Why not Google him?

In the darkness of my room, I grab my laptop and open it, clicking on Google and turning my screen brightness down while the page loads. "Mar-tijn - no, Mar-tin Gar-rix," I muttered to myself as I typed. I click on a news article that looks promising. "Martin Garrix, the 19 year old world famous DJ, bleh bleh bleh," I mutter again and scroll down to the bottom. "More like 12 year old..." I say under my breath, as though someone will hear me.

"In summer 2014, Martin had an incident involving members of the press and a person close to him that remains anonymous. After the issue was disputed for several months, a decision was reached. Mr. Garrix was to be accompanied by his parents, and live in a small town in Florida, USA, until the issue was resolved and the excitement over it had died down."

I make a face at my computer and mutter, "In English, please?" I get the main point, though. He'd done something bad and is here because he's in some kind of detention.