Chapter 1

I click a few times on my computer and add 2 more notes, then the last loop. I click play and then sit back, staring at the screen as the lines fly by and my new song plays loudly through the speakers in my bedroom. I smile at the chords I've created and nod my head to the beat.

"Madi! Madi Johnson! Please turn that down and go to bed, it's eleven o'clock! I can hear that from down here and I'm pretty sure the new neighbors can, too!" I sigh and get up to shut my door.

"Sorry, Mom!" I yell, and sit back down, clicking the screen once as soon as the song finishes. I smile proudly at the computer screen. My new song is finally done. I've been working on it for three months but all that time has finally paid off.

This is the song that will finally get me noticed, I can feel it. I've been trying to get myself and my music noticed by big record labels to start a career in DJing and music production.

It's been a lot of work, though, because in a small town like Boca Grande, Florida, it's hard to get anyone to notice anything. I turn my speakers and computer off after saving the song.

I still have no clue what to name it - I'm horrible at picking song names and tend towards such creative ones as "Mix 1" or "Track 7."  I get into bed and lay down, unable to sleep. I'm not used to going to sleep at 11:00; I usually go to bed much later. Between school, college applications, sports, and friends, the only time I've had for music making has been odd hours of the night.

For me, school is just something that takes up time that I could be spending writing songs. I resent it, taking as little time as possible doing homework or anything school related, always thinking up new melodies in class and never paying attention. But school ends in a week, and then I can spend my entire summer making music.

My parents have no clue that I don't try in school. I'm one of those kids that no matter how little I pay attention and study or how much I procrastinate, I'll still pass every test. I call it luck, my friends call me a nerd. I guess I am lucky, though, because if I wasn't doing well in school there's no way my parents would support me constantly making songs.

I know it's far fetched, but I really want to be an amazing DJ, like Hardwell or Tiesto. They're some of my favorite producers. 

I turn over, finally feeling a little tired. Right before I fall asleep, I suddenly remember that Mom had told me that the house next door to us has finally sold. Hopefully it'll be someone my age and who won't think I'm weird for making house music all night long.

The next morning, my alarm wakes me by tuning to the radio. I hear a familiar tune, but I wait until the song concludes to hear what it's called.

"And that was the new drop by 19 year old DJ, Martin Garrix, called "Wizard."

I laugh to myself. Personally, I don't really like Martin. Yeah, he has good music and stuff, but I feel like people only like him cause he's young and, apparently, good looking. I have no clue what he looks like, and I don't plan on googling him or anything.

I want people to like my music because it's good, not because I'm young or attractive (I do happen to be young, only 18, but I know that makes it harder for people to take me and my music seriously.

I get out of bed and quickly get dressed, glancing longingly at my DJ set, placed along the wall perpendicular to my window on one side of my room.

"One more week. Just one more week," I say out loud.

I look at the clock before rushing downstairs and grabbing breakfast on my way out the door. I hurry down to the curb where the bus comes. I glance through the brush that separates our house from our new neighbors.