Chapter 1: The Astronaut

"Where's papa?" My little sister, Tanith, asks waking up from her nap. I turn from my laptop to my five year old sister. Her big round eyes droop slightly, she's still sleepy. "He's in his study," I say. Tanith has went back to sleep and didn't hear me. I go back to my laptop, finishing the rest of my homework. "YO! that was crazy!" Alonso yells walking in, forgetting to close the door behind him. "Shut up! Tanith is sleeping!" I hiss at him. He lets his hover board glide to his room. "Oh man, you should've seen it!" Alonso is whispering now. "What?" I ask shifting in my seat so that I can look at him. "Okay so me and cooper were minding our own business, you know the usual, riding our hover boards, doing cool tricks that all the girls like," He says. I scoff. "When we saw an astronaut!" Alonso exclaims. 

  Tanith shifts. I roll my eyes, "Yeah, and I saw a moose," I say. "No for real, no lie!" He says. "They don't exist, and if they did, the prediction is that they will get here in the year 4221, this is 2067," I say. "I have proof!" Alonso reaches in his pocket and pulls out his NixPod. "Here," He shoves it in my face. On the screen, there is a blurry picture of a white space suit and a big helmet. "Aw I almost believed it," I say sarcastically rolling my eyes. "No it's true, It really was," He says. "I'm pretty sure that's one of those tires they use for old cars," I say. "And the helmet?" He says. "It's probably a black bag that got stuck on it." I say. "But it was moving," He says. "Tires roll Alonso," I say. "No, it was moving like us...Only a little more awkwardly," He says. 

  "Maybe it was the wind that was doing it, we are in the middle of Autumn and Summer, you know how windy it is out," I say. "I guess your right," He says. "I guess you're right, but still I know they exist," Alonso says. "They do not exist, what even are humans, who thought up that word?" I say turning back to my laptop. "How can you be the daughter of a scientist and not believe in aliens?" Alonso says. "How can you be the son of smart beings and be the dumbest creature?" I shoot back. Alonso brushes his gray hair from his face and his cheeks turn a reddish purple, his blood raising to his cheeks in anger. "Go to school," I say. "Go to work ugly!" My fourteen year old brother shouts childishly, clicking his key for his hover board.

  Since I'm of age, seventeen, I had to start working. The officials of the city chose the right job for us, they chose the Sendex for me. The Sendex is a building where scientists explore and test out their experiments, my dad also works there as the president. My job is to assist some of the scientists and sometimes take calls. I hate this job, it's not for me. They choose the Job by family relations, and how good you were in school. I was good in science, my dad is a scientist and my mother a doctor, so what better than to put me in the scientific field. I wanted to be a designer or reporter, but I got stuck with being a science assistant. I will have this job for the rest of my life, I can't get fired, but I can get promoted so I might as well try my best at it. The only way I can get away from this job is if I do something really bad, something that breaks the law. But if I break a law, I will be an out cast, and be put in the city of out casts. 

  "Close the door idiot!" I yell back. The door recognizing my voice and closes it's self. I look at Tanith, who only moves on the chair, still asleep. I go down the stairs to my dad's study. "Is there anything that we can do?" Dad is talking on his NixPod. "This can't be right!" My dad slams the table and starts walking back and forth. "Okay, figure something out, now! don't let this be what gets you thrown in out-cast city, you hear?" Dad yells into his NixPod before hanging up and taking a deep deep breath. "Is there something up at work?" I ask coming in. Dad smiles, but I can see worry in his eyes. "Yeah, everything is alright, nothing to worry about right? If there is anything wrong it will get taken care of...right...No, it definitely would." Dad, rambles, a sure sign that he's stressed. "Dad, tell me, is anything going on at work?" I ask. 

  "I knew this was going to happen, but not for another hundreds, thousands of years," Dad looks at me. "What was supposed to happen in hundreds, thousands of years?" I ask. "Astronauts...humans, they will soon invade," dad says.