Party

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

Adam nervously waited at Emmy's door. Despite the previous events of that evening, he'd managed to get ready and make it to the party only a few minutes late. He took a breath. This was it. Against all odds, Dana was back in his life, and he knew he couldn't let her slip away for a second time. Tonight was his chance to get her back. It was do or die now.

The door opened. He was greeted by Emmy.

'Sup Goldnerd! Was wondering when you were gonna show up', she said, clearly already drunk.

'Um yeah. Let's just say I was some having trouble getting the shower to work', he replied unconvincingly.

She shrugged it off, and he followed her inside. Upon entering, Adam was immediately hit by the electric atmosphere of the party. The smell of pot and cheap beer filled his airways, the booming synth sounds of New Order echoed in his ears, and the seizure-inducing colours of the laser lights flooded his eyes. He'd entered the wolf pit, and there was no going back now.

'Hey everyone - Adam's here!', announced Emmy eagerly.

All of Adam's equally drunk friends turned around, and immediately bombarded him with greetings and hugs. Dave Kim even tried to kiss him on the forehead, slurring something about him 'being his son'. Everyone was clearly wasted, and Adam didn't wanna be the odd one out. So, he grabbed the first Bud he could find, and drank. And drank some more. And drank so much that within 20 minutes, his sobriety was as absent as his popularity at school. Fearing he'd lose his buzz though, he decided to grab one more beer from the other room. However, on his way there, there was a knocking at the door. Emmy was passed out on the coach at this point, so he took it upon himself to answer it. He grabbed the handle, pulled the door open and...there she was.

'Adam, hey!', said Dana sweetly.

'Dana! You're here! I thought you weren't gonna show up. You look...incredible', stuttered Adam. He stared up and down at his ex. She was a wearing a short, wavy red dress, which beautifully outlined her curvy, gorgeous body. Her golden hair flowed elegantly down her dainty shoulders, and stopped just shy of her chest.

'Aw Adam you're sweet, but let's not ignore how you're looking these days. You dress better, you're more muscular, and you're actually taller than me now', she laughed.

Adam could barely contain the compliment-induced beam that was protruding across his face.

'Come on in. I'll get you a drink', he said charmingly.

He led her in, and naturally Dana's mere presence attracted the attention of the entire party. Everyone swarmed her, and those who hadn't seen her at school earlier gave her enormous hugs, asking how she was, what Seattle was like and a million other questions. At that moment, it became clear to Adam that Dana was a beacon of radiance and joy not just in his life, but for everyone she interacted with. Something about her just exuded coolness, humility, beauty and perhaps most significantly, sexuality. This revelation filled Adam with euphoria, but also fear. What if someone at the party tried to get with her? Guys constantly gawped at her even whilst they were dating, so imagine what they'd be like now that she's not only single, but also somehow even more attractive than she used to be. Adam couldn't take any chances. After Dana had finished catching up with her friends, he approached her, took her hand and led her outside.

The two sat upon the highest branch of the highest tree in Emmy's garden. The moonlight illuminated their faces as they looked up at the stars, and they were silent. Nothing but the sound of crickets and the faint music of the party could be heard. Adam turned and looked at Dana's beautiful face, and placed his hand on top of hers.