EIGHT SKULLS OF TEVERSHAM Part 4 RESURRECTION

The Mayor had wondered why he had not heard from Eric for five years, surly he would have contacted him telling him that he had buried the skulls. He had once heard that the secrets of resurrection lay in those mountains in Scotland and regeneration was also possible but again the answers remained in the caves high up there, but the Mayor never ventured there. Eventually he sent for his soldiers and a small team of explorers to go to the mountains in search of Eric, he never mentioned what he really wanted, but hoped that they would discover the secrets and return to him with the information. He needed to know if it was possible and only then would he venture out into the cave and use whatever information that was relevant to either prolong or restore his life.

The explorers and accompanying soldiers left the town of Teversham, in order to begin the arduous journey to the mountains, John was sent with them to gather information about the cave. They are also hoping to find Eric alive and solve the mystery of his disappearance; this would explain why he was gone so long.

John was leading the explorers who were called Aalef, a small man with a long beard and wearing a hat looking like a Goblin, Malbert was a thin man who walked oddly as if he had some sort of deformity, Gaud was a strong hard faced character who never smiled, finally Balian was the wisest of the explorers, very conscientious and keen on working long hours to discover things. There were few soldiers with them on this trip, it was considered an advantage to use fewer due to the cost of hiring them and because they were travelling light on this trip. It was the Mayors idea to do this, he wanted as few people to know any secrets about the cave, he certainly didn't want the town's folk to have knowledge of resurrection or regeneration.

On the journey John was telling the explorers the story of how, he and his father had battled with the witches, and about the eight skulls of Teversham. He avoided telling them about Eric and his part in their deaths, until one of the explorers asked him.

"What of Eric" Balian asked him.

"Oh, he fought well and at one point, he was captured by them" John explained

"A brave man, was he? Gaud asked "Strong like me"

"Yes, strong like you Gaud"

Malbert was travelling slowly behind them, his horse appeared to be more like a donkey, but he seemed happy to do this.

"Come on Malbert" Gaud shouted back to him

"Yes keep up, we don't want you picked off by outlaws or witches" John shouted

"I am coming, but the scenery is breathtaking don't you think?" Balian said looking around him.

"The only breathtaking thing will be you if you don't catch up" Aalef shouted

Eventually Malbert caught up with them and joined in their conversation, they talked until their throats dried and then it was time to make camp for the night.

In order to boost moral the explorers organise songs around the camp fire, they considered it better than telling spooky stories or boring the soldiers with any more tales of their own journeys exploring places of interest. Gradually the explorers singing began to sound out of tune, and they decided to retire to their tents and sleep, they soon slept leave two soldiers to guard the camp.

Meanwhile south of their camp miles away from the explorers, a witch's coven assembled consisting of seven witches namely Mirabell, Flora, Darnetta, Bittora, Zabal, Grisel and Ricolda. Zabal was the daughter of Nabara and just as cruel. Darnetta was the leader daughter of Florina, she was just as scatty as Florina but as wicked as the rest of them. The daughters seemed to be more powerful than their mothers and demonstrated their abilities by frightening villagers across the glens of Scotland.