Ch. 11: Said the Spider to the Fly

Scott and Liam had tracked a gray, blood-covered wolf into the woods to find at least a dozen dead, like they had torn each other apart. They called Malia and me to see if we could figure it out. Malia and I were at the loft, where Malia was laying on the couch and reading a book and looking at her laptop where she was keeping track of her flight to Paris for college.

"Wolves or Werewolves?" Malia asked.

"They said wolves," I answered.

"Not interested," Malia told me. "You go."

I gave Malia a look. "Liam was asking for help from the Werewolf and the Werecoyote. He wants both of us."

"Okay, I get why you, but why me?" Malia asked.

"Because you're the former animal," I answered. "Nobody understands mysterious animal situations like you do."

Malia turned over onto her stomach to look up at me. "I'm done with mysterious animal situations. I want mysterious men. French ones."

I rolled my eyes, looking at the laptop. "Your flight's delayed."

"No, no, it's rerouted," Malia told me. "There's a difference."

"Delayed is what happens when your flight is rerouted," I told her. "So you have plenty of time to help. And there's a storm system shutting down Charles de Gaulle Airport."

"It's a minor shower," Malia told me. "Liam's got everything covered." I gave Malia a look for her to come with me. Malia closed her laptop. "Tara, they were just dead wolves. Doesn't sound supernatural to me."

Malia laid back down to continue reading her French book. I sighed, rolling my eyes.

******

Liam and Mason had called Malia and me to the tunnels the next morning because they found a rat king, a big pile of at least 50 dead rats that had torn each other apart. Malia and I were kneeling next to the rat king to investigate.

"You've got two minutes," Malia told them.

"What do you think happened?" Liam asked.

"Rats freaked out, crawled all over each other, got their tails knotted up, tore each other apart trying to break free," Malia answered.

"You read up on rat kings?" Mason asked.

"What's a rat king?" Malia asked.

"What you just described," I answered, pulling a rat free from the pile, able to smell fear radiating off of it, standing, holding it toward Liam and Malia.

Mason ran away to the entrance of the tunnel.

Liam backed away. "Oh, I'm good, thank you."

"Yep, I'm--I'm good just over here," Mason told us.

I rolled my eyes, turning to hold the rat toward Malia. "Can you smell it? It's fear."

Malia took a small whiff, pushing my hand over the rat king for me to drop it there.

"Yeah, it's the same as the ones in the math classroom," Liam told us.

"Why were there rats in the classroom?" I asked.

"Yeah, they ran in during second period," Liam told us. "Uh, about 50 of them."

"Your two minutes are up," Malia told us, walking down the tunnel.

"Where are you going?" Liam asked.

"Paris," Malia answered. "This isn't my problem."

"But you think this is a problem," I told her.