"I've been looking for you absolutely everywhere! For hours!" he replied, "I've looked everywhere, every single wing and floor of the office, plus I ran down to the bakery and the restaurant I know you frequent. I even called Montgomery, for goodness sake! And I've been blowing up your phone and you haven't been answering me! Where were you?"

Frowning, I checked my phone. And there, clear as day, were 15 missed calls from my junior associate, with an extra three from the front desk. How could I have missed them? Was I wallowing in my own self-pity that much that I hadn't heard the incessant ringing of my phone? It seemed like it.

"Aaron, I—" I shrugged, unable to give him a coherent explanation as to why I'd been AWOL this morning, "I don't know what to tell you. I just didn't see your calls. I wasn't planning on coming in today because...well...you know."

Aaron sighed, his whole body slumping, shooting me a sympathetic glance, "I know. And I'm sorry. But that's what I was looking for you for."

"What do you mean?" I said, leaning up against my door.

"It's.... Boone...and Webster. They...Adriana...."

"What is it?" I questioned, dread filling my gut, "What's wrong?"

He looked at me with wide green eyes, "They've called you into a meeting. They want to see you at the earliest possible availability. And you know what that means. You drop everything and run. They've wanted to see you since 9am this morning."

"Shit!" I exclaimed, the truth now settling itself into my stomach. Boone and Webster moved fast. How could I possibly forget that?

I was being fired. Today.

It made sense. When they appointed the new partner this evening, they would need a united firm, particularly in the senior executive department. There would have to be a complete support of the new partner, no animosity, no envy, no jealousy. And with their young, scorned executive that came in the five foot five female package that was me? I usually didn't take things lying down and they knew it. Get rid of anyone opposed to the decision and the new partner could settle in easy.

"Already?" I sighed, lamenting.

"I'm really sorry, Adriana." He whispered, looking down, "It's not fair."

"I know...I guess this is really it, then," I exhaled deeply, "Aaron?"

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to let you know that these past two years have been..." emotion clogged my throat, "It's been an honor and a privilege working with a bright young man such as yourself. You're only twenty-three, and to see how far you've come already...it's astounding."

"Adriana...I—"

Finally looking up at me, his eyes were watery and filled with tears. But I fought mine back. I would not cry. Not again. Not today. That was one promise I wouldn't break.

"Don't. Aaron, please."

"Working with you has been the best experience of my life. I'll never forget it, I swear to you. And I'll make you proud." He ran a hand over his eyes, "I promise."

I caught my breath at his emotional response, still fighting back my own tears from spilling down my cheeks. In a move uncharacteristic of me in the office, I pulled the six foot man into my arms, "You keep in contact, you hear me? I want to hear good things. And your name on the door one day, do you understand me?"

"Yes, Ma'am." He choked, squeezing me back tight.

I extricated myself from his arms and wiped my eyes, straightening my jacket and tucking my hair behind my ear.