Chapter I

Chapter I
I've always suffered from being clumsy. It's not that I have bad luck. I just naturally trip over things, bump into people, and break a lot of things. OK, I'll admit, I have a bit of bad luck. Sometimes I think that when I was born someone painted a sign on my head that said: Accident Waiting To Happen, so it's not really my fault that I'm in a hospital being interrogated because of my newest accident.

"Ms., Ms. Jessica? Should I call the doctor?" The nurse questions nervously, seeing as I failed to respond to her previous question.

"Sorry, I dozed off. Can y-"

"Would you like me to bring you some pills?" She interrupts.

"No, I'm fine, really. If I could just have my phone back I'd tell my mom to pick me up and I would be on my way." I try convincing for what feels like the billionth time, feeling slightly irritated.

"Ms., you've suffered a minor concussion to your head and have multiple bruises, I think it would be wise to stay here for a while. The doctor will soon come to examine your head and will be the judge of the severity of your injuries. As for you mother, she's already on her way and will be here soon." She explains. Hearing her name being called on the external speakers, she rushes out of the room.

I groan and silently curse myself for my unawareness on the road. My head hurt- not from the accident but from all the pestering questions and worries- and my phone was probably blowing up with messages. To top it all off, I had missed my best friend's little sister's birthday. Great, just great.

A young doctor suddenly comes in. Her hair is short, ash-blonde, and neatly combed which falls in with her rosy, oval face and almond-shaped blue eyes. She is of average height and has a warm smile on her face.

"Good morning." She greets. I reply politely as she smiles and opens my portfolio.

"Jessica Lynn Fox," she reads off, "You're fourteen- nearly fifteen."

I nod. "Yes Doctor," I reply.

  Raising her eyebrows, she asks rhetorically, "It's not the first time you've visited us?"

I laugh and answer, "I'm extremely clumsy."

At this she laughs and says, "I see. So you entered high school a few months ago. Do you like it?"

I nod and internally groan.

"And you're here today because you were riding your bike to a friends house- which was far from your home, I might add- and at an intersection, you didn't see the car in front of you and crashed into it?" She laughs and says, "I've never heard that one before."

I laugh. When she put it that way, it does sound ridiculous.

"Come with me, I need to get you checked up."

^^^

Two hours later, I am in in the car, hearing my mother give me a huge speech about safety and another huge one about lying. I lied about where I was going since my mom would never give me permission to cross the city. So you can imagine my surprise when I hear my mom utter the words: "You're not grounded."

"Wait..., what?" I stumble over my words.

"Oh, I don't need to." She replies with a smug.

Ugh oh. I did not like where this was going. "What do you mean?" I slowly asked, trying to figure out what this meant.

"No electronics for you as in no using your computer, phone, iPad etc. Oh and no texting." She bluntly clarifies.