epilogue

She was sat hunched over a glass of what smelt like tequila, just like she had been the night they met

She was sat hunched over a glass of what smelt like tequila, just like she had been the night they met. Only this time she wasn't laughing, she was crying.

Fat tears rolled down her cheeks. This happened a lot, lately. One minute she was fine, then her mind would wander and the next thing she knew she was crying.

Victoria felt a familiar presence sit down beside her at the bar.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?" He recalled the first words he had ever said to her.

She suppressed a small laugh and smirked, "Ignoring men like you."

The words had never been truer.

"I thought you had left," Elijah spoke, neither one of them daring to look at the other.

"This is my home." She took a large sip from her drink. "I've been thinking, these last few days. About us."

"And what did you conclude?" He finally looked over at her, hope evident in his chocolate coloured eyes.

"When we first met I asked you what price you'd paid becoming the man you are now," she turned her head and locked eyes with him. "I finally figured it out. And it's not one I'm willing to pay. New York is my home, and it took me leaving t realise that. I won't do it again. But there over 8 million people in this city. I guess what I'm trying to say is goodbye, Elijah."

Tori left her glass half empty, shrugging on her long camel coat as she stood up from her seat. She wanted to stay, to forgive him, to kiss him – and only him – for the rest of her life. But she knew she couldn't.

Better safe than sorry.