six

She subconsciously wrapped her tan coat around her petite body as she stepped over the threshold, "Remind me, where did we leave off last time?"

"If my memory serves me, we were debating about whether or not New York is just a city," came Elijah's response.

"Ah, I remember. I think it's gonna take a little more than usual to get you to see it my way, but until then, tell me about yourself. Who is Elijah Mikaelson? Why is he here?"

The loud clicking of Victoria's red stilettos was the only noise between them as they walked through the busy streets of Manhattan, waiting for Elijah to begin his story.

"I come from a large family. We used to be extremely close, they meant the world to me, but not so much anymore," he answered vaguely after a moment or so of silence between them.

"Why?"

"Things change," Elijah shrugged. "I – I guess I got sick of having to clean up their messes."

"So you came to New York to get away from your family," the young woman nodded, soft brunette curls bouncing slightly. "I get it. Family is a pain in the ass but at the end of the day they're the people you'd die for."

"I'm well aware," he muttered in response. "Sometimes you just need a break."

"I'm well aware," she mocked, shoving her hands deep into the pockets of her coat. "So, are you sleeping with the receptionist or are you just that charming?"

He raised his eyebrows at her forwardness, a ghost of a smile appearing on his lips, "I'm not sure I know what you mean."

"Oh, c'mon, I saw you. You walked up to that desk and she started blushing like a teenager," Victoria recalled how she had watched the scene play out from the bar overlooking the lobby.

"I'm just that charming."

A loud, melodic giggle left her red lips, subconsciously shaking her head as she did.

"Okay, no, but seriously, you say you don't care much for your family, you control everyone around you like they don't mean a thing, you could have the world except you're closed off; cold." Victoria stole a brief glance up at the handsome man next to her. "But at what price? How much did you lose becoming this person? Oh, come on, no one is born that way."

It remained silent between the pair for a while after that. They simply walked in silence through the busy streets of Manhattan as he tried to come up with an answer for her which proved to be far more difficult than expected.

"You're right," Elijah finally answered after what felt like hours of silence but in reality had only been a few minutes at most. "No one is born like this, and I paid heavily for becoming who I am now. But you are much too young to discover the price."