13. Angels vs. Devils

Start from the beginning

"You used to hang out with us," Miley retorts. "What, now that you left us for the Wreckers we're not good enough anymore?"

"She didn't just leave us, she betrayed us," Jason corrects from my side. His voice is acidic, biting. It's the first time he's spoken in several minutes, and I peek at him to see that his fist is clenching at his side. He's pissed.

I, as usual, am more confused than ever at what they just said. I have more to learn. And I will. I shake my head and glare at my cousin.

"They're my friends," I say defensively, and pointedly. "Why are you hanging out with these ass clowns?"

Za and Khalil glance over at me in surprise. Miley snickers, and Jason nudges me in appreciation.

"Why do you think?" Adrian snaps. "She's a Wrecker."

"Yeah, but she's my cousin," I insist deliberately. I fidget a little at the overall awkwardness of this whole situation, and peer at Jason's crew in my periphery. They're standing solidly beside me, regarding the Wreckers closely. In that moment I remember what Miley said about tonight being a match-up for us, a chance to know the enemy's strengths and weakness. Nina and I have tipped the scales - but in whose favor?

"This changes things," I reason.

"Actually, it doesn't change shit." Johnny rolls his sleeves up, exposing his several tattoos, and pulls out a set of keys. "Trust me, we still hate y'all. And we're still drifting tonight. Or are you stalling?"

"Nah, just taking my time," Jason corrects him in an unfriendly tone. He unhooks his arm from my shoulders and steps forward. "Let's get this started. Za, give me the keys."

Za nods and tosses him the keys to the Mustang. Jason raises an eyebrow and smirks at the Wreckers like he's waiting for one of them to step up to the challenge, and I suddenly remember that he drives fast.

"Who's first?" he says.

"Leggo," Quavo replies, nodding his head at Johnny. Johnny nods back and heads over to the Camaro.

Jason glances back at us expectantly.

"I'll go with you," Miley volunteers, her blue eyes wicked and bright with mischief. She pulls out her lighter and ignites her blunt expertly, then takes a drag and blows out a cloud with ease. I didn't even notice she rolled one up.

The two of them start walking across the yard to where we parked the Mustang. Outside the fence the crowd shifts to line up along the road illuminated only by the dim streetlamps hanging overhead.

I stand with Za and Khalil on the edge of the sidewalk, right beside the Mustang. Cherry, Adrian, and Tate stand parallel, further down the street. We get front-row seats. Nina moves to stand between the two cars in the street and puts her hands on her hips.

"First race is the turnabout route," she informs everyone. "It's a straight shot to the warehouse at the end of this block, a sharp left, and four right turns to circle back here. First car to pass me where I'm standing right now wins. Got it?"

The crowd murmurs in anticipation. Johnny revs up the engine to the Camaro and it roars to life like a racecar. Jason puts his foot down on the gas pedal of the Mustang, which is still in park, and it vrooms loudly, tires squealing.

Nina raises her arms above her head. Her dark eyes gleam in the night. "Ready!" she shouts. "Set... GO!"

The cars zoom forward so fast I can't even tell which one moved first. A cloud of exhaust and the acrid scent of burning rubber fills the air. The revelers hurry to the edge of the sidewalk to watch the cars as they race down the street, turn into a blur of yellow and red, and finally disappear around the corner.