Chapter 10

This chapter has a few tasty little pieces of candy corn people asked for along the way.  And for those who are wondering about poor brain-dead Natasha and whether or not Steve will ever get a grip on his role as leader of the Avengers … the mysterious hooded Other aka Herr Klaiser is still out there (the Other was the bad guy who made a deal with Loki) and I'm not done writing yet…

X

Chapter 10

Bernice stared up at the tower stretching towards the sky until her head was bent so far back, it felt like it would snap right off of her neck. Stark Industries. The first 100% off-the-grid alternative-energy skyscraper in New York City, now workplace of her best friend in the whole wide world. Jacquie, lucky dog, had just landed a job with the architect renovating damage suffered during the alien attack.

Scaffolding surrounded the building like training wheels, cranes lifting plates of unbroken glass skyward like a child's erector set. Whistles assaulted her ears as construction workers shouted things like 'sweetheart' or 'whoo baby!' at anything remotely female who walked by. Bernice blushed, wishing fervently she'd brought her portfolio to hide behind as she navigated the gauntlet of building supplies, workmen, and areas cordoned off with yellow 'caution' tape. Every building in Midtown was in the process of being repaired or, if too badly damaged, torn down, but only Stark Towers was nearing completion. With so much focus on rebuilding infrastructure and people nervous about survival in light of the unexpected confirmation of hostile aliens, there wasn't a lot of work out there right now for a starving artist.

The guard asked her to fill out paperwork stating who she was and why she was here. The building was new, but it had been decorated in a style reminiscent of the art deco architecture of the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. As she waited for Jacquie to come down to the lobby, she studied the artfully inlaid wood, steel, and stone. She could see why Jacquie, who specialized in modern art, would have landed a such a plum job.

"Bernice!" Jacquie squealed as she exited the elevator. She gave Bernice a hug, even though they'd seen each other this morning. They were, after all, roommates. Although with graduation only weeks away and Jacquie now having a 'real' job, Bernice had to wonder how long her friend would tolerate the drafty attic they shared in Brooklyn Heights, far from all the action. Greenwich Village was where you wanted to be if you were anybody in the art world.

"This place is spectacular," Bernice said, staring at the intricately inlaid brass and chrome patterning as they waited for the elevator. "Why do they want to renovate it?"

"Not this part," Jacquie said, giving her a smug smile. "I'm helping them redecorate the penthouse!"

"Really?" Bernice asked. "You're painting the penthouse?"

"Um," Jacquie said, giving Bernice a sheepish look. "Actually … it's just a bathroom in one of the guest quarters a few floors beneath it. They're letting me hand-paint a line of trim accenting the tile work."

"But that's such an honor," Bernice said. "I mean … think about it! Stark Tower! And they're going to pay you to do it!"

"Yeah," Jacquie said, giving Bernice a triumphant grin. "And besides … it's a pretty cool bathroom. Even if it is the tiniest one in the entire building."

She dragged Bernice inside the elevator, a perfect recreation of art deco style. Instead of pushing the 'down' button to the cafeteria, she pushed a button three knobs from the top. A feminine voice asked Jacquie for her access code. Grinning like she'd just won the lottery, Jacquie punched a string of numbers into a keypad.

"But," Bernice said with dismay, looking down at her tired digs. She'd dressed for a casual lunch in the cafeteria, not hobnobbing with the powers-that-be in the tallest skyscraper in town. She'd cast off her trendy ripped jeans for less edgy ones, but her blouse was way too casual for a ride up in the elevator instead of down. Unlike Jacquie, who looked every bit the part of a chic artist. Jacquie's flaming red hair was now streaked with black, cut in sharp feathered layers like one of those Japanese anime cartoons or the girl with the dragon tattoo. Her clothing had changed, too. More professional. And black, of course. All the hippest artists dressed totally in black.