Roses-for the last kiss

I touched your hand which had held me and your face that had smiled at me. .they were stone cold..unresponsive..

I waited for your eyes to open and to look up at me with delight like before but you slept on unable to hear my pleas..

I cried mutely when they came to talk you away and I pleaded with them to give me another minute for a goodbye..

I crowned your head with kisses..so that each would turn into a rose and you would wear a crown of roses when you walk into heaven..

And then the angels touched you and lifted the burdens off you.. I knew you were free from earthly burdens and unfinished tasks..

I thought I saw your grey eyes flutter open..and look at me with love..but it was only the shadow of a candle..I wept for you remained still despite my cries..

I saw you walk into the softest of sunshine wearing a crown of roses.. my kisses had bloomed.. you knew my love and I knew yours..

You returned to our forever home but I stay here a little longer. . I have to go on this path for a little longer..

But I know when it is my time and when the roses on my head bloom you would be waiting for me...with your laugh which I love..with kindness in your eyes and open arms.. you will know my sorrow and you will kiss my weary palms..

Then we would wait at the white bridge in the forest with the river flowing beneath our feet.. for those who came through the white gate with a crown of roses..for they were the ones who had lived best and who were crowned with kisses which bloomed..

Their heads would weigh down with one or a dozen..sometimes tiny hands-sometimes frail would stretch out to us and we would guide them over the bridge..

The white bridge in the forest.. where you and I would sit..side by side like before.. wearing a crown of roses..kissed and beloved..