E. 9. "Activate Duplicate" (1/4)

February 20thA few days later

February 20th
A few days later...

It is a fine morning in San Diego, perfect to go out and practice hockey in an indoor facility. Before that can be done, though, a particular resident of the Monarossabergie House is in a pesky situation one goes through in one point of life: He cannot find a pair of socks.

"Ugh, I'm out of socks?" Brandon Montour mumbles as he peers in his barren dresser's drawer.

He pushes the drawer closed and lifts his head up with pursed lips and narrowed eyes. He is kneeling on his mattress, which is right next to his dresser.

He throws his legs out in front of him to sit on the mattress and peers down at his bare feet. He wiggles his toes, making sure that it is worth searching for socks. "I have to have a pair of socks somewhere..."

He kneels back on the mattress and leans to his dresser, pulling the sock drawer fully open once again. He peeks inside it, then reaches his hand into it, groping for anything that can be in the drawer.

His hand hits the wooden back of the drawer. He reaches past the drawer and into the dresser, continuing on his rummaging. He traces his fingers down the slightly rough surface of the drawer, immediately catching a feeling of something soft and cushy below.

His eyes light up. "Socks!"

Brandon snatches the socks blindly into his possession and pulls his arm out from the dresser. He peers down at his catch: Sure enough, he is holding a balled-up pair of army green-coloured socks.

He raises his eyebrows. "Hey...I thought I lost these...!" He chuckles as he undoes his socks, separating them. "Well, glad I found them!" He sits back on the mattress and slips the socks on his feet, content that he got socks for practice and for the day.

He then kneels again and puts his the palms of his hands on the mattress to begin exiting his hole in the wall.

Immediately on contact, another mattress springs into view, lifting Brandon up a good foot from the floor.

"Whoa!" Brandon exclaims as he braces himself in the immediate elevation. He lifts his eyes up at the ceiling, which is now a few feet from his head. "I better get out of here before I get slammed up against the ceiling with this mattress..."

He then begins shuffling his knees and hands backward, toward the exit. He lowers his feet backward onto the steps of the ladder, then clutches onto the railings for safety with his hands.

BING!

Another ladder pops into view, causing the ladder Brandon is on to be pushed back toward the wall that is a foot behind him.

"WHOA!" Brandon shouts, grasping onto the handles harder. "I'm...going down...!" He begins clamouring down the ladder; more ladders then begin to appear in front of his ladder every time his hands touch the ladder. His ladder gradually gets pushed back with all of the other ladders begin stacked in front of it.