"You aren't getting my keys babe. It's eleven at night."

"Fine" I groan, throwing my hands up in frustration. "I'll get a cab" I add as I leave the room. It's not long before I feel Josh's hand on my arm, pulling me back.

"Maya Penelope Hunter if you think for one fucking second I'm letting you out in the city at eleven o'clock by yourself you're fucking high" he exclaims as he moves in front of me. "Where do you suddenly need to run off to?"

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. "My dad is at a bar and he needs to be picked up. My mom is dead so lucky me" I exclaim with fake enthusiasm.

"You aren't going alone" he insists. "We'll go" he says.

"Josh-."

"Either I go with or you stay here. Those are your options sweetheart. Take em or leave em" he says in frustration. I knew there was no point in arguing with him so I simply nod. "Good" he says as he reaches into his pockets for his keys. "Let's go" he insists as he tugs on my arm. He leads me to the parking lot where we climb into his car and head off towards Greenwich. I'm exhausted at this point since it's almost midnight but I somehow end up staying awake the entire drive. "Which bar?" Josh asks as he drives around aimlessly.

"Greenwich Pub" I reply softly. Josh looks over at me as tears well in my eyes, taking my hand in his.

"It's gonna be okay" he assures me as he brings my hand to his lips. "Don't cry. Your eyes will get all puffy" he says making me chuckle. "That's better" he smiles as we stop at a red light. He reaches over and wipes my tears, caressing my cheek. "Just breathe" he says softly. "We're gonna pick up your dad and then we'll go back home."

I shake my head as I move his hand. "I have to stay" I say softly making his eyebrows furrow.

"What are you talking about?" he asks confused.

"He's drinking. I'm gonna stay for the weekend. Make sure he's okay."

"Maya-."

"Josh. I'm staying. I'll be back but I'm staying for the weekend." The light turns green so he's forced to look away from me as we continue our drive to the pub. When we pull up to the bar I take a deep breath before pulling open my door and heading inside. Josh walks behind me, keeping a protective grip on my hand as we make our way through the crowd. I spot my dad passed out on a bar stool and I sigh. I rush towards him and shake him awake. He looks up at me through glossed eyes and a smile pulls at his lips.

"Maya" he exclaims. "What are you doing here?" he asks confused as he looks up to see Josh hovering nearby. "And what the hell is he doing here?"

"Taking care of me. Coincidentally doing your job" I snip. "Jesus dad, how much did you have to drink?"

"Just a bit" he lies making me roll my eyes.

"Mhm sure" I reply unconvinced and extremely annoyed. "We're taking you home." I look to Josh who nods and helps me carry my dad out of the bar. Josh throws my dad into the backseat where he quickly falls asleep. Josh drives in silence, to my house and when we pull up the two of us sit in the front seat, not exchanging even a glance.

"I don't want you staying here" he says softly. "People aren't themselves when they drink."

"He's my dad" I protest.

"Maya" Josh sighs as he finally looks at me. "For once in your life can you please let me worry about you?" he exclaims in frustration. I suck my bottom lip into my mouth as he takes a deep breath, collecting himself. "I'm staying tonight and we are driving back tomorrow."

"But-."

"Penelope" he cuts me off angrily. I decide not to push my luck and open my door, going around to help my dad out of the car. "I got him" Josh insists as he comes around to help. "Go open the door."

"I'm quite capable of getting my dad inside" I argue.

"Is this what we're gonna do all night? Fight over everything?"

"You're underestimating me. I've lived on my own before Josh. I don't need any help. I'm capable of taking care of myself."

"Except this isn't about you" he shouts, earning a light to turn on next door. "Go open the door Maya." I groan in frustration but finally walk up to open the front door while Josh helps my dad inside. They make it as far as the couch and Josh calls it good enough. I walk into the bathroom and raid the medicine cabinet for some Aspirin and I fill a cup with some water before walking the items out to the living room and placing them in front of my dad.

"I'm going to bed" I tell Josh who's sitting on the recliner.

"Fine" he says making me roll my eyes as I attempt to brush past him but he catches my wrist causing my skin to tingle. "I love you" he says without looking at me. He lets me go but I stand, glued in place.

"Come on" I insist as I grab his hand. He takes it and allows me to lead him back to my room. I shut the door and lock it so that my drunken father doesn't stumble in when looking for the bathroom or his bedroom later. I lean against my door and take a deep breath as Josh wanders aimlessly around my room. "I don't need help" I remind him making him chuckle.

"Is that so? I don't think I got that memo" he teases.

"I don't need you to protect me."

"Fine" he gives, looking at me intently. "But I'm gonna anyway. That's what people do when they love each other Maya" he says as he walks towards me.

"He's my dad."

"That's not your dad. That's grief stricken, drunk version of your dad. The two are not anything alike."

"He wouldn't hurt me."

"Not on purpose" Josh agrees. "But it's not the physical abuse I'm worried about. You wanna stay here for two days? He's still angry Maya. He still hates me. Are you really willing to put yourself through psychological hell for two days to make sure he's okay?"

"He has to forgive me someday."

"Of course he will" Josh agrees as he closes the distance between us, "but that forgiveness won't happen overnight." I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

"What should I do then? Slip off into the night?"

"No" he shakes his head. "We'll stay tonight and we can make sure he's back on his feet tomorrow but we have to get back to school."

"Okay" I nod in defeat. "Tonight and tomorrow afternoon. Then home."

"Then home" he repeats as he caresses my cheek. "I'm sorry I yelled at you. I'm just worried. I hate seeing you go through all this shit."

"I know" I nod, placing my hand over his. "But you need to let me be independent sometimes."

"And you need to accept help sometimes" he replies making me chuckle. "You're not alone anymore Maya. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. I love you."

"I love you too" I smile as I wrap my arms around his neck. "Thank you for putting up with me" I add making him chuckle.

"Baby there's no one else I'd rather put up with" he replies making me giggle as he leans into kiss me. "Let's get some sleep" he insists as we pull apart. I nod and lead him over to my bed. I strip down to my bra and panties while he strips down to his boxers before we climb into bed. He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my neck as my eyes flutter shut. "Goodnight Penelope."

"Goodnight Josh."