Chapter 35-Let's Bring Up the Past, Shall We?

Comenzar desde el principio

"How does he even look you in the eyes every day?" I'm stuck between upset and angry, I can't choose how I feel.

"You don't think I've been apologizing for years? She came to me, and she told me that the two of them had broken up, when in reality, she just wanted sex, not a relationship. She said Clark refused to put out. We went out, got drunk and the next thing I knew...

"Look, she tossed me aside as quickly as she threw aside your boyfriend. She wanted sex. That's it. So when he said he heard that me and her had sex...God you should have seen it. It was horrible."

I  can't believe anything I'm hearing from Joey's side. No longer is the anger there, but the regret. But should I feel sorry for Joey? Probably. Do I? Absolutely not.

"Tell me why you're angry he showed up at your door then," I say, not wanting to continue talking about how my best friend hurt my boyfriend. 

A car honking on Joey's end of the conversation causes me to jump. "What the hell are you doing?!" I shout.

"Driving."

"Well that sure as hell explains it," I say sarcastically.

Standing again, I go to the bathroom for an aspirin. My side aches again and now I have a raging headache. "Look, I'm not going to just forgive you now. I can't believe you never told me or Nicki in college that you did this."

Silence. 

"You told Nicki didn't you?"

"About a week after you guys started to date."

"You fucking-" I stop, taking the aspirin to calm down. "What the hell, Joey?"

"I have a more important question, like why the hell did you tell Clark I'm having girl problems? Couldn't you just leave well enough alone? I'm struggling every day to make the choice between these two girls, and you interfering-"

"I'M DOING WHAT?!" I shout. "Excuse me, Joesph Micheal Richter! You're the one who came to me when you couldn't decide between our best friend or Emma! You're the one who went and got Nicki pregnant! You're the one who fucked up in the first place! Don't drag me down with you!"

Silence again. Of course.

"You shouldn't have said anything," he finally responds. "You shouldn't have said anything."

"So when my boyfriend, whom I care about, asks why you are always by Nicki's side, and then asks why Nicki is really in the hospital, do you want me to lie?"

"Did you tell him Nicki's pregnant?!" He sounds frantic and ready to scream at me if need be. 

"No!" I sigh loudly and make my way out of the bathroom and back into the main room to get myself a beer. I'm up, I'm pissed, and I want a beer. "I told him that you were having girl troubles and then he ran off on his own theories."

I recount our conversation in the hospital earlier tonight, but to no avail am I able to calm down a steaming mad Joey. I hear several car noises, and am slightly annoyed that Joey's driving while talking to me. I always have this feeling that when I or anyone gets into a car it'll be just like with my parents. They'll get it, they'll drive away.

And then they don't come back.

"I need to learn boundaries?!"  That's the one thing Joey seems to pick up on when I tell him what Clark said. 

"Jesus Christ, Joey, it's fucking half past midnight and I have a headache can you not scream in my ear please?"

"Chill, Alex."