I - Mare's Eggs

When he saw the marrow, Kevin's eyes brightened. There it lay, swollen and striped, amongst all the carrots and onions and potatoes and radishes, and he had never seen anything like it before.

'No day's a good day unless you learn something new,' Kevin said to himself. So he stepped into the shop and asked the greengrocer to tell him what the strange object was.

'That,' said the greengrocer, 'that is a mare's egg.'

'A mare's egg,' cried Kevin. 'Can I buy it?'

'It's yours for one pound,' said the greengrocer.

So Kevin bought the marrow and, to while away the time on his way back home across the heath, he tried to see how far ahead of him he could roll it. Before long, the marrow ran into a bush and a hare leaped out of the bush and galloped away as fast as his legs could carry him.

Then Kevin gave chase. But long-legged as he was, he wasn't as quick as the leaping hare, and the animal escaped him.

Next day, Kevin walked into town again and went back to the greengrocer's shop.

'You again,' said the greengrocer warily. 'Well! What can I do for you today?'

'That was a racehorse's egg,' said Kevin.

'Is that right?' said the greengrocer, grinning.

'It broke and the foal galloped away from me. I couldn't catch up with it.'

'Really?' said the greengrocer.

'So,' said Kevin, 'have you got any carthorse's eggs?'

~

Hello again! I really wanted to publish at least something, so here it is!

Please note: These are not my stories.

I just found them in a random place, liked them, and wanted to share them. I have no idea who wrote them, so if one of you do, feel free to tell me. :)

Love you all!

~