2 - Ares

I know chapter 1 was in third person narrative, but from here on out everything will be in Mena's POV (with the exception of a few surprises).

Enjoy!

xxx

Stop scowling, you're going to get wrinkles. Dominic mocked, trying to make me feel better.

Both my wolf and I had been on edge all morning, the wolf growling mentally at the seemingly excited females that now stood next to me. We wanted to be next to Dominic where Jackson had temporarily taken our place, not being paraded for some arrogant Alphas and their warriors.

Alala wants to eat these females for the breakfast this idiocy has made us miss. Be happy that scowling is all I'm doing. I replied, growling at his laughter. My back was ramrod straight, shoulders pushed back and chin up, waiting for the Alphas to start. There was still one missing, as Alpha Ares couldn't make it to yesterday's meeting and would be arriving shortly. Besides our own Alpha, he was the only one Alala and I had any respect for. He was known as ruthless and stubborn, but still a fair leader. The others were mostly too cocky or too idiotic- if it wasn't for their blood right they wouldn't have been considered for the Alpha positions they held. That didn't mean that Ares' tardiness didn't annoy me even more, or that I would accept any of his warriors as my mate.

Just as I was about to snarl at the female next to her who was prattling on about finding a sexy specimen to mate with, ten Jeeps pulled up to the pack house. Finally! Alala exclaimed, though with more agitation than usual, but my face remained impassive and disinterested. Warriors filed out, grouping together while making way for their Alpha. Ares was a handsome man, with pitch black hair cut short at the sides but left longer on top and slight stubble that refused to hide the sharp jaw line he had received from his father's part of the family. I'd met his father on multiple occasions before he retired six months ago. He was a respectable male who hated sexism and believed that females were more capable than males were. I hoped Ares would share his father's beliefs for the sake of his pack. At 6.6", he towered over many of his own men while blue-grey eyes scanned the crowds for the other Alphas. They would greet the females first, the warriors meeting them after the other potentials had been taken away.

Females ogled him as he moved to stand beside the other Alphas that didn't have mates yet. There were only three of them in total, but the Betas joining them would make it last a bit longer. I almost wished that our potential would be a Beta so it would be over quickly, but they didn't take the rejection very well. They thought my wolf and I didn't find them good enough for us- which was only partly true- and fought to prove themselves. It made everything even more tedious than it already was. I checked in with Dominic through the mind-link to ensure everything was okay and that Jackson was doing his job correctly before focusing on the task at hand. The Alphas were starting to greet and sniff the females close to me, meaning I would be up soon.

Alala thanked the Moon that Alexander wasn't our potential, even if we were going to reject him. The sexist idiot didn't deserve to be considered by her, which is why she slightly flashed her fang and stopped paying further attention when he moved passed us. She basically curled up in a ball and decided to take a nap, leaving me alone to deal with the males. This seemed to amuse Ares greatly for some reason, as he barked a laugh and grinned at me when my eyes met his. He moved quickly, taking long and powerful strides until he was standing right in front of me. Raising my eyebrow, I refused to break eye contact with this potential. Though he gave a slight growl at my impassiveness, he didn't comment on it. Alala perked up at the sound, mentally unfurling her tail from her eyes to see who our new potential was. The power radiating from him appealed to her, she liked that he was strong. He was the most worthy potential we had come across, but I wasn't bothered by him. She was.