Chapter Twenty-Nine

Claire awoke to the sound of heavy machinery outside of the Kraken. She snapped awake as a loud metallic clang rang out through the Walker and it trembled. She looked around for Daniel but found no sign of him.
"Daniel?!" She called out, stumbling down the center as the Walker rocked again.
"Daniel, where are you?!" She cried. She climbed the ladder as best she could as the Walker shook once more and she rolled unsteadily onto the deck. She got to her hands and knees and swept her hair over her shoulder as she peered up at what caused the sound. It was a Valkyrie class Battle Walker looming over her with the floodlights on each of its shoulders glaring at her. Claire gasped as what she saw in the Magister's vision flashed across her mind; a great metal hand followed by a murderous Imperium soldier. She paled as she heard the hiss of the cockpit open. She sat back on her knees and stared up at the Walker. A feeling of utter helplessness washed over her and gripped her. Suddenly, the floodlights snapped off and Claire could see Daniel sitting in the cockpit between the walkers shoulders. He smiled until he saw her expression. In an instant, he tore free of the harness and leapt out of the Walker. He landed with a stumble and slid next to Claire while the Walker knelt down beside the Kraken. She was still staring up at the Valkyrie even when Daniel was shaking her by the shoulders.
"Claire!" He called desperately, "Claire, what's wrong?" Claire blinked and shook herself free from her trance. She looked down and into Daniel's eyes.
"Promise me," she whispered meekly, "I need you to promise me."
"What, Claire?" Daniel responded.
"Promise me you'll never use a Walker to hunt someone again."
Daniel's face was blank. He opened his mouth as though to speak but quickly shut it. He pulled Claire into a hug and gently rocked her. He understood what she was feeling. He had seen it before in countless other Tech Warriors.

Claire watched from the catwalk along with Devon as Daniel piloted the Valkyrie expertly around the armory and used it to load the Kraken with supplies stored in crates.
"Makes you feel good, doesn't it," Devon asked her, "feeling the rumble of the engine and the shaking of earth as it passes." Claire was silent.
"Your highness," Claire heard Joan say behind her. The Magister paused as she saw the Valkyrie and then ran up to the railing of the catwalk. She looked on in awe as Daniel waved with the machines great clunky arm.
"Whoa," Joan breathed.
"Whoa indeed," Devon said proudly.
"What did you need, Joan?" Claire asked. She looked at the Magister and noticed she was still staring at the Walker.
"Joan!" Claire said sharply. Joan jumped and turned quickly.
"Oh, sorry," she said quickly, "I was just..ahem. I came to tell you that the Warriors will be ready to move by nightfall, just as you've asked."
"How many will come with us?" Claire asked.
"Fifteen."
"Fifteen?"
"Twelve, myself included, to help with the ritual. Three to help protect us."
"Daniel will be coming with us. We should be safe with him around."
"Oh, yeah?" Joan's eyes flashed for a moment and Claire tried not to make a face.
"But we'll need those fighters to help us."
"What do you need?" Joan asked, her expression getting serious again.
"Daniel will set up barricades at the exit of the armory and you will need to fill it with your strongest fighters. When those doors open, we'll be exposed to the bandits in the city and we can't have them getting in and hurting anyone."
"I will stay behind and coordinate the defense," Devon cut in, "don't worry, Magister. I'll keep your people safe." Joan wore a concerned look and looked at Devon.
"Will Daniel leave us with weapons?" She asked.
"I-" Claire began but thought better of it. "You will have to talk to him about it. He says he won't but I couldn't tell you why."
"Seriously?" Joan asked, visibly upset. She groaned and glared at the Valkyrie. This should be interesting, Claire thought. She made a mental note of Joan's reaction to Daniel's decision and followed her across the catwalk to the stairs leading to the ground floor.

Claire watched from afar with Devon while Joan argued with Daniel.
"What exactly is happening?" Claire asked Devon.
"By the looks of it..nothing. Daniel won't cave nor should he. She doesn't understand our technology and how disastrous it could be for someone else who doesn't." Claire nodded. She frowned as she watched Daniel fold his arms and shake his head no while Joan was waving her arms about and raising her voice occasionally. What is so dangerous about the Imperium arsenal to the Warriors, she wondered. And why is Joan so interested in it? Finally, Daniel looked at Devon and motioned for him to come. Devon slapped his leg plates and said, "my master beckons." Claire smirked as he hustled towards Daniel. He had since removed the armor Daniel damaged in their fight and Claire couldn't help but compare the two. Danny's bigger, she thought mischievously. Daniel nodded up at the catwalk and Devon quickly ran up the stairs and out of sight before Daniel himself went to the corner of the armory with the lockers. Claire noticed Joan watch him go, her face twisted up in confusion. I'd better go and see what's up, Claire thought. She walked over to Joan and tapped her on the shoulder.
"What's going on?" She asked.
"I don't know," Joan replied, "he just said to wait here while he gets some equipment and then he sent Devon to fetch some Warriors. What do you think he's planning?"
Claire tapped her chin in thought. She remembered the suits of armor in the lockers and in the crates and what he said about soldiers only being able to wear it.
"I think he wants to show you what he means when he says you can't use the same equipment as him," she answered finally. Before Joan could say anything, Daniel came marching from the lockers in a half suit of armor. He slid the chest piece on as he walked past towards the opposite corner with the cages. Claire heard one open and he came walking back with what Claire assumed to be weapons on his back. At the same time, Devon came quickly down the stairs with a group of six Tech Warriors. Daniel was in a full suit of clean and never before worn armor. There may have been a fine film of dust coating it but it was still a huge improvement to his old suit. It was much quieter but still let out a quiet hiss every now and then when he shifted. The only piece missing was the helmet which hung attached to his hip. Devon stood next to him while the group of warriors formed a half circle around them to watch. Daniel was pulling his gauntlets on and buckling them into place as he spoke.
"So," he said, "Joan believes that it's time I gave the Warriors some equipment. Now, how many of you have seen a soldier before me?" Only one Tech Warrior and Joan raised there hand. Claire thought it was silly for them to do that but she herself couldn't think of a better way to respond.
"Be honest with me," Daniel said to them, "have you fought them or watched them fight a Warrior?" The Warrior nodded but Joan stayed still.
"Then you understand," Daniel said solemnly. The Warrior nodded grimly.
"But for the rest of you who don't know, it is very hard to hurt a soldier with 'magic'. It takes skill, speed, and strength. Our armor is built to repel or suppress your abilities. For you to wear it as I do is almost impossible to do without coming to harm. Not to mention that the suits are calibrated for us," he motioned to himself and Devon, "and other soldiers. It takes years of training to wear it. You will not receive any of these suits. Now I know you've seen these before but I hope you haven't seen them in action." With that, Daniel reached behind him and unfolded a carbine. He swung the weapon down into his hands and carried it like it was nothing. The Warriors eyes widened. Daniel pointed at the largest one there.
"Want to hold it?" He asked simply. The Warrior grinned and came forward eagerly. Claire herself was curious about the Imperium equipment. The Warrior held out his hands for the weapon but Daniel held it just above his hands.
"Ready?" He asked.
"Oh yeah."
Daniel set the weapon in the Warriors hands, making him stumble forward. Joan gasped as the Warrior steadied himself and hefted it as Daniel did.
"Now try and point it at the crate against the doors," Daniel directed, pointing to a large and what Claire hoped to be an empty crate. The Warrior was slow to aim and grunted as he did so.
"Good. Now shoot it," Daniel said. The Warrior looked at him with wide eyes full of fear. Devon chuckled and Daniel took the weapon back.
"This is why you can't use these either," Daniel said. He threw the slide back, chambering a huge bullet with an ominous clink. All was still for a moment while Daniel took aim. The door was a solid fifty meters away and the crate was resting against it. Claire covered her ears and the Warriors were quick to do so as well. Daniel pulled the trigger and the air in the armory exploded into thunder. All of the dust on his suit flew off, almost leaving a ghost image of Daniel behind him. The crate exploded into splinters at the other end of the room and the doors rang out like a bell. Devon rubbed a finger in his ear and rolled his jaw.
"Whoa," breathed several of the Warriors. Joan was pouting. Daniel turned back around and holstered the weapon on his back.
"Good shot, sir," Devon said simply.
"That particular rifle is standard issue. They come in bigger sizes too," Daniel said, making the Warriors shift nervously.
"Why are they so big?" Joan asked him. "Don't you have any smaller weapons?"
"They're built to be able to destroy walls or to disable rogue walkers. They're standard issue for their ability to adapt to any situation. All it takes is a change in ammunition," he explained, "and there are smaller weapons. We have these." He pulled a handgun from his hip similar to the one he gave to Claire before. He demonstrated it as well and allowed the Warriors to test fire it before offering it to Joan.
"Those," he said, "you can have. But keep in mind that ammunition is scarce. When it's gone it's gone. Everything else is mine. Unless you have anymore objections." Joan looked down at the pistol and back at the Warriors still buzzing with adrenaline from shooting the weapon.
"This will do," she said quietly.
Daniel nodded and looked at Devon who was checking his nails through the torn ends of his gauntlets. He smacked him in the chest, making him jump.
"Right," Devon shouted. He ushered the warriors back to the stairs but Joan stayed behind. Daniel hooked his fingers in the collar of his chest piece and watched her. She squirmed under his gaze and looked to Claire who in turn looked at Daniel. He frowned and shook his head slowly.
"Look," he said quietly, "don't be so quick to arm your people. You're not at war anymore, you don't have to worry about someone having the upper hand. Just worry about the happiness of your people, I'll make sure they're safe." With that, Daniel clapped her on the shoulder and started sauntering back to the cages in the corner. Joan watched him go. Once he was out of earshot, Joan looked at Claire.
"You know, you're lucky to have him." She said before strolling back to the stairs.

Later that day, Daniel was bolting carbines onto the railing of the Kraken while Claire sat on the outstretched palm of the Valkyrie. Daniel finished bolting the last gun and stood up.
"You know," he said as he inspected his handiwork, "you don't have to be with me at all times."
Claire blushed. "What do you mean?"
"I mean you haven't left my side since we met back up st the throne room. You're allowed to go explore, considering the fact you're the queen of Aurora."
"Well.." Claire mumbled, kicking her boots together, "I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than here."
"I too enjoy the company of walkers," Daniel said wistfully. Claire frowned.
"No, Daniel. No."
"What?"
At that moment, Devon came jogging in with a crowd of Warriors. A group split off and went toward the Kraken while the rest followed Devon downstairs.
"Showtime," Daniel muttered before climbing onto the Valkyrie's arm and into the cockpit. He backed it away from the Kraken while Claire opened the hatch on the top of the deck and ushered the other Warriors in.
"Pull the shields down over the windows," she shouted into the hatch before going to the railing to watch Devon. He and the Warriors toted pistols and crouched behind metal barricades and crates. Devon was shouting orders and reassuring them while Daniel used the Valkyrie to put the last barricades into place. He docked the Valkyrie back into the wall where he got it and ran across the catwalk.
"You ready!?" He yelled to Devon.
"Yes, sir!"
"Good. This place will not fall, you get me!"
"Got it! Hear that ladies? We can't let them get past us. Let's get some!"
Daniel ran aboard the Kraken and Claire ducked below deck while she had a chance. He followed her down and ran straight to the cockpit. It was a high back metal chair with four different pedals and a great many levers and switches. There was thick glass all around him except for the floor his seat was attached to. Claire grabbed a seat close to the cockpit while the others sat closer to the back. Joan sat beside her, anxiously wringing her hands. Daniel gripped a handle to his right and slowly pushed it forward after flicking a combination of switches. There was a gradual hum building and Claire could hear the firing of pistons as the engine on the back of the deck fired to life in its housing.
"Come on, come on," Daniel grumbled. Suddenly, the engine jumped and the whole Walker shuddered before settling to once consistent vibration.
"Yes," he shouted. The doors to the armory were sliding open slowly ahead of them and Claire could see a dark orange violet sky. The sun was setting behind them, making the distant buildings glisten as the broken windows reflected the sun. The armory led onto a massive road big enough for the support Walker to walk on. Claire could already  see bandits running down the road towards them, firing their weapons into the air and hollering. They had been waiting for the day the armory would finally open. Devon kept himself and the Warriors hidden, even as the bandits began taking shots at the Kraken. The bullets bounced off of the hull and scratched at the window Daniel looked out of. Just as the doors finished opening all the way, the bandits were no more than twenty meters away. Devon leapt into action, along with all of the other Warriors, and mowed down the bandits with an overwhelming amount of fire from the loud and impressive Imperium pistols. The bandits retreated some but a firefight soon broke out.
"Get is out of here!" Joan yelled over the noise of the engines. Daniel was silent as he fought the pedals and levers. He was wearing his helmet and Claire shivered as she realized how mechanical he looked. Suddenly, the Walker lurched forward and shook as it took its first steps. And then again and again until Daniel settled into a rhythm of movement. He stepped cautiously over the Warriors who paused and looked up in pure awe. The bandits themselves paused. And then the shooting started again. It sounded like a hailstorm as the bandits peppered the Walker with their bullets and one lodged itself in the windshield. Daniel dropped a metal shield from the outside with the pull of a lever, making him rely on slim slats in the shield.
"Make sure they're safe," Daniel said through the microphone in his helmet. Claire ran to the back of the Walker and lifted a shield just enough to look out of the window. She could see the armory doors closing slowly behind them and Devon waving goodbye. The bandits were focused entirely on the Walker now, leaving the Warriors in the armory to their own devices. Claire dropped the shield and ran back to Daniel.
"They're safe," she shouted. He nodded and returned to his piloting. Claire went to the seat to the right of the cockpit and drew her knees up to her chest. As time went on, the shooting lessened and then stopped altogether. The excitement left along with the adrenaline and Claire slumped in her seat. She breathed a sigh of relief. She closed her eyes for a moment, picturing what her mother would say if she saw her daughter riding in a Battle-Walker. She smiled. Just wait until she hears who's queen, she thought. The constant rocking and lull of the engines made Claire drowsy and eventually she drifted slowly off to sleep.