"Victorie, please calm down," Courfeyrac pleaded, "You cannot prevent it by shouting at me! Your screams won't change a thing!"

I wanted to answer something mean. I wanted to shout even louder, use vulgar words, maybe punch him in the chest once or twice. Nevertheless, he was right. I could not save my father by turning Courfeyrac into a training sack.

I closed my eyes for an instant. Took a deep breath, and I knew I could not risk to waste any more time in such a daft way.

"I have to stop him." I said finally, but I felt as if my voice was coming from far away. I knew I was a mess, and that saving my father would be so much harder if my mind wasn't in such a state of hectic thought overload. I needed to think clear, but It was impossible.

"You won't stop him, Victorie," Courfeyrac protested, "You know it more than anyone else, it is impossible to change his mind once he's decided."

"I have to try!" I cried, "I changed his mind when he had decided that I should not take part in the revolution, and I can change it once more!"

"This is not the same," He sighed, "he won't stop. I know it must be hard for you because he is, after all, going to kill your father, but I am afraid there is nothing to be done now."

"It is not just about my father, François!" I exclaimed, deeply annoyed by the man's ignorance, "Have the two of you never think of the consequences of such a deed?! They will touch all of us! If Enjolras succeeds in assassinating the king, he will bring death upon himself immediately. They will not let him escape, there will not be a trial, there will not be a revolution!" I tried to overcome the shaking of my voice but it was far more difficult than I thought, with a harsh feeling in my throat, I continued, "And when they are done with him, they will trace him back to me! My mother... she will use this as the final excuse she has been waiting for all my life, she'll get rid of me once and for all! It is a death sentence for me!"

"Oh, God," he was shocked, his hands were shivering, "I did not think of it-"

"Of course, you did not think!" I shouted violently, but seeing his hurt puppy eyes, I took a breath and brushing my fingers through my hair, I tried to calm down. I came up to the man, and placed my hands on his, "I really do have to stop him," I repeated as calmly as I could.

"How?" He asked, seeming more eager to cooperate with me.

"First, you need to tell me how he plans to do it." I demanded quietly.

"During the grand finale of the fireworks show," Fra answered, "He believes that the sounds of explosions will hide the gunshots."

I felt as if someone has taken my breath away, he did in fact had everything planed out. 

"We have five minutes, ten at most." I breathed.

We exchanged looks, his gaze was almost empty, his eyes reminded mirrors. In these almost black orbs, I could see my own face; pale with terror. The sounds of the firework show suddenly reminded me of a ticking clock, a clock that grew louder and louder, measuring the time until the beginning of the end. That is, if we cannot manage to stop Enjolras.

"we have to go now!" I felt myself pulling his hand and we run out of the pool house.

Outside, it might have been a little brighter and chillier, but I did not notice the crisp of the air. Everything around me merged into blur, as I kept running as fast as I could, however, feeling that I was not running fast enough. I was afraid it would be too late when we got there, but at the same time I wished to prolong the time of our run so that I could actually come up with the idea how to convince Enjolras not to fire. But nothing, not a single thought inside my head sounded convincing. The revolution was about to happen on a very small scale, and it was about to drag me down in the very first minutes of its existence. It would kill me, and I, I would die with the consciousness that I was unable to prevent it, that I was, in fact the traitor of the crown.