31- PAIR HOMEWORK

ZOE ENTERED THE COMMON ROOM in the company of Dean and Seamus. They were talking about their first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson which they had had earlier. Professor Madley was strict, but a very good teacher. Their first lesson had been about Erklings and she had promised the next one would be a practical lesson.

"Oh, there is Fred and George - I'll see you later." Zoe grinned to Dean and Seamus.

Fred and George were sitting in a quiet corner, so Zoe knew something was wrong. They weren't wearing their usual, laid-back grins. Instead, their brows were furrowed.

"Did you both finally get your periods?" Zoe joked, and they both turned to look at her, letting a momentarily amused snort. She sat down around the small table. "Have you heard back from Bagman yet?"

They both tensed.

"Ooh, so that's what this is."

"It's been too long." Fred sighed, scratching his forehead in frustration.

"He must've gotten our letter. Our owl came back without a response a few days ago." George said, leaning his head against his arm.

"Is it possible that he just simply intended all this to happen?" Fred wondered, dropping his hands dramatically.

"Let's ask him." Zoe said as if it was obvious.

"Alright..." George said, taking out parchment, quill and ink from his bag. He started playing with the quill in his hands so it would help him to concentrate. "What should we write?"

"Give our money back, you arsebadger." Zoe quipped, then she clapped her hands together in celebration, leaning back in her chair and putting her feet up the table. "That's it."

"We're accusing a Ministry's Head of a Department here," Fred said, "so we have to be subtle."

Zoe was tilting herself on the chair as the twins wrote a version onto the parchment and Fred read it out loud so they could hear what it sounded like.

"Dear Mr Bagman, the money you gave us was Leprecahun gold, so it disappeared-" Fred read very quietly from the letter.

Fred and George didn't want anyone else beside Lee and Zoe to know. Especially because if Mrs Weasley would find out, from Ron or Ginny for example, nothing good would happen to the brothers.

"No – that sounds like we're accusing him. Got to be careful..." Georges shook his head, scratching it out.

Zoe helped them finish writing the letter. After they were done, the common room had emptied noticeably since people had gone to bed. The fire was dying out as there were only embers anymore. Zoe looked around herself to make sure no prying ears would hear and leaned in closer to Fred and George. She lowered her voice and it was quiet, "I want to become an Animagus."

This surprised Fred and George. They were intrigued.

"Isn't the process quite difficult and dangerous?" George asked, raising a brow. "You said it took Sirius three years. If you fail, it can cause permanent half-human, half-animal mutation."

"Yes, it is. But Dad started the process when he was really young, on his second year. I think I'd be able to do within year if I put my mind to it."

"I mean, Zoe is easily the best in Transfiguration in her year. Even better than Hermione." Fred said to his brother thoughtfully.

"Yeah. And Dad taught Peter who wasn't talented how to do it. I'm sure with his help I can do it."

"You'd think he'd teach you?" George asked.