Chapter 30. Shallow Waters

Start from the beginning

I mixed the spaghetti sauce with the pasta and addressed both of them. Spencer was tinkering with what looked like scraps of metals soldered together, while Ester was pretty much reading her novel. It would have been normal save for Spencer jabbing his materials with a screw driver, and Ester slipping him a frustrated glance once every few seconds.

I took a bite. "Did you two have a fight?"

Spencer glowered. "No."

Short but meaningful. Not like him at all.

I focused on Ester. Her ears have turned red. "I know it's none of my business," I said. "You're twins. It's a given that you'll fight." I swallowed a bit of hotdog. It didn't taste as good as I thought. "But you can tell me what's wrong, okay?" I smiled at them. "That's what friends are for."

Spencer snorted. "You sound like a song."

"A bad song," Ester agreed.

"Great, I'm the enemy now." I mixed the sauce again. But at least they were talking. "So what's up?"

"Nothing's up," Spencer said.

"Then why are you looking at my baby like that?" The three of us turned to Genesis. She cringed as she placed her tray on the table, then sat down. "It's a song too," she said.

Spencer shook his head. "Yeah, whatever."

It took five minutes before Gene and I got over the fact that she almost gave us away. Sum total of ten squeezes on each other's legs. Another five of touching each other's hands under the table. But then it bothered me that the twins had stayed silent all the time, so I stopped.

"Ester," I said. "If there's a problem, tell us now."

I looked at Gene for help. She nodded and propped her elbows on the table before leaning forward. Her game face was on. "This confidential matter will not leave our circle," she said.

Spencer palmed his face. "Can you not student president us right now?"

"I second the motion," Ester supplied.

He glared at her. "You've made it so much worse."

Gene held up a hand. I giggled because she was trying hard no to laugh. She was doing it on purpose. "Spencer, give us your side. Ester, you can take your turn after."

Spencer crossed his arms. "I swear Gene, you sound like your father."

Genesis froze, and I came to the rescue. "No, she doesn't. Shut up, Spence, and tell us what's up."

He tossed his screwdriver on the table and sighed. I had given him the look. "Okay. Okay." He surrendered with both hands up. "Es and I are worried about the junk shop."

I let go of my fork. "Why? What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing. Yet." Ester hadn't sound this unconvinced in all the times I've known her. She was always full of insight and confidence. "It might close. We don't know." She shook her head. "We overheard mom and dad talking last night about irregularities. Something about the right permits."

I shifted on my seat. "But the junk shop had always been there. How can you not have the right permit?"

The bell rang before she could answer.

The twin's dilemma was still on my mind long after classes, even while Genesis and I were walking home from school. She brushed a hand over my back, then moved closer when I gave her a weak smile. "You're worried for them." Her voice was soft.