devotion

(A/N: Although this is technically a flashback, I won't be italicizing the entire chapter because it includes Dee's internal monologue. Enjoy 😊)

Flashback

(Dee POV)

Dee sorts through her gifts, her television loud enough to hear but she doesn't pay attention. She smiles at the outfit Nova picked out, a pair of black ripped jeans and a kente crop top. You did good, babe.

She starts to her closet, putting it away. As she heads back for the final gifts, a noise outside of  her window startles her. She freezes but quickly smiles when she realizes the cause. Yooo...are you serious? She starts for the window but stops, rushing to close and lock her bedroom door. She returns to the window, opening it and leaning out toward him, her initial joy replaced with frustration.

'The fuck you doin' here,' she whisper-yells. Nova laughs, leaning into her for a kiss. She's unable to get away, his lips drawing her in. She closes her eyes, the thrill making her forget her balance as she hangs out of the window. Her eyes open at the sound of someone downstairs laughing loudly. She pulls back, slapping the side of his head. 'Nigga, all my family out here and you try a do some Romeo and Juliet shit,' she says, trying to keep her voice low. 'Oh, so we can't rob people but we can kill ourselves for each other,' he teases. She laughs, pulling herself back into the room, folding her arms.

'Shut up, Juli,' she responds. 'I'm just saying,' he starts. 'Nah, just tell me why you at my window at 11:30 at night,' she demands. 'I came to see you,' he says with a smile. I can't...but I kinda want to. She feels her heart race and looks away, walking to her door. She unlocks it, slowly opening it to check for people in the hallway. The upstairs is silent, the light on downstairs with the voices of her cousins and uncles still audible.

She closes and locks the door again, going back to he window. She looks out and sees no one, silence all around. She peers out, leaning forward when something jumps up at her. 'Juli, stop!' She exclaims. He laughs, kissing her to erase her anger. She bites her lip and looks down, stepping away from the window frame. 'Come on,' she whispers. 

She watches as he maneuvers his way inside, his long limbs contorting enough to get in without much trouble. Once inside, he embraces her, her head in the middle of his chest. 'How'd you get past my family,' she questions. 'Got my ways,' he whispers, pecking her lips. 'My question still ain't been answered,' she replies. He kisses her again, this time managing to clear her mind. Her eyes flutter open and she makes a face, frustrated at his game. Every damn time man.

'You act like you don't want me here,' he whispers, his hands gently moving her hair from her face. 'I do but I know you. You up to somethin' so tell me,' she says. He smirks, giving her another quick kiss. 'Gotta wait and see.' She shakes her head, leading him to her desk chair. He sits, watching her finish putting away her gifts. 'I'll be back,' she says before leaving the room.

When she returns makeup free, Nova has gotten comfortable, his jacket tossed to the side, his hair down and spinning in the chair. 'Took you long enough,' he says quietly. 'Shut up,' she replies, noticing his different attire for the first time. 'You went home?' He nods, still spinning in the chair. 'Better than not goin' at all and Ekko figures it out.' She nods, walking into her closet to change.

She exits, unintentionally mimicking his shorts and tank top. 'You copyin' me now?' he teases. 'Shut up, you ain't invent nothing,' she replies. He laughs, re-adjusting himself so that she can sit on his lap. 'You still ain't tell me why you here,' she says. She notices his eyes shift, his nervous lip chewing starting. Okay...what's wrong?