Chapter 8

Alex's POV

          It has been a week since we had to let Roulette go. Maggie and I have been hanging out quite a bit, and I am going to the alien bar almost every other day with her. We worked on a small case, finding the murderer easily because they left the murder weapon at the scene with prints. People need to think more. I really like Maggie, and I am so glad that I met her.

          I arrive at the bar, looking around. She usually meets me outside, and I know her enough now to know she is rarely late. I go inside, hoping she just got started early. If she isn't there yet I'll just wait outside. She wouldn't just ditch me, would she? She hasn't , as I see her at the bar, downing a shot. I walk up to her, and see tears running down her face. She isn't sobbing, but I can tell she is hurting.

          "Maggie, are you okay?" I must have startled her, because she looks up quickly, wiping the tears from her eyes.

          "Oh. Um, hi Danvers. I'm fine. Really." She isn't.

          "You don't have to lie to me. What's wrong?"

          "My girlfriend dumped me." She looks down at the empty glass, then looks back at me. "She said I focus too much on my job, that I should have been spending more time with her. She said I was hard-headed and insensitive. She also said I spend to much time with you. When I tried to explain it was just work, she got mad about my job again." She tries to order other drink, but I tell the bartender that she has had enough, sitting down next to her.

          "Who would do that? If she dumped you, than that is her lost. You deserve better than her; you need someone who loves you as you are. And you are great." I can tell that made her feel better. She has a smile tugging at her mouth. She hugs me, and I linger a second longer than normal, my heart racing.

          We spend the rest of the evening playing pool. It is a Sunday, so we leave a bit earlier than usual so we get a good night's sleep for work tomorrow. I fall asleep thinking of Detective Sawyer, as I can't get her off of my mind.

Kara's POV

          "Okay, now wear these." I hand Mon-El some fake glasses. I have been preparing Mon-El to be ready for Earth since we stopped the fight club. I convinced James to give him a job, though it is only an internship due to the short notice. Today is his first day at CatCo, so I am getting him ready.

          "Why?"

          "Just in case you ever want to be a hero like me. You are going by Mike. Alright?" Mon-El nods, and we head out. I show him to his desk, and he immediately sits down with his feet on the desk. I hit them off as James arrives.

          "Hello Mike. Are your ready for your first day?" Mon-El doesn't respond at first, but then he remembers that he is going by Mike.

          "Yep. I'm ready as I'll ever..." He stops talking, waving at Eve, James's assistant, who was staring at him. I snap my fingers in his face. "What?"

          "Here is some paperwork for you to do. Please don't get distracted, alright?" James says, shaking his head slightly. Mon-El nods, sits down, and gets to work. Eve is still staring, so James goes over to tell her off. "Kara, do you want to go on a walk with me?" I nod, and we leave. Before I go, I catch a glance of Mon-El walking over to talk to Eve. Was making Mon-El work here a bad idea?

          We walk around the city, making small talk and looking at our surrounding. I point out a lot of dogs and cats. And birds.

          "I'm glad we are talking right now. I feel like we have been talking less and less." I nod.