Part 13(Peter's POV)

Começar do início

          Gathering up my courage, I extended my arm a little bit farther and squeezed her shoulder gently. Immediately, she leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder, nearly making my heart stop. Tears fell from her eyes still, but a small smile had crossed her face.

          I tried to calm my racing heart, absolutely positive that she could feel it through my shoulder, but to no avail. It surprised the living heck out of me, but there was absolutely nothing I wanted to change about my life in that moment. She didn't make a movement to change her position, and I sat there, heart beating out of my chest, rubbing her arm gently as we both watched in adoration as the movie came to a bittersweet end. Kenzie started clapping, and I whistled.

          I heard my aunt laughing kindly at us, and I jumped a little bit. I had totally forgotten that May was there. She looked at me with pride, pure joy evident on her face.

          Kenzie sat up, and my shoulder and side were still warm from where she had been resting. The happiness on her face immediately making everything in the room more bright.

          "That was my childhood. Harry Potter was my childhood. So that was pure magic for me, every single second of it. Thank you so much, Peter!" she beamed, her eyes dancing.

          "No problem. I'm positive that I enjoyed that as much or more than you did," I laughed, meaning every word. I wasn't sure how to thank her for tonight; I had never been so happy.

          Just then, my phone rang. I pulled it out, and Tony Stark's face lit up my screen. My heart started to pound. Mr. Stark rarely called me directly.

          "I'm really sorry. I have to take this. I'll be right back." I insisted, hoping it was true. May raised an eyebrow at me, but she let me go.

          I walked into my room, and picked up the call. "Mr. Stark?" I started.

          "Hey, kid. You busy?" Tony's voice rang through the phone, slightly echoing. He must have been at the Avengers headquarters— that place echoes like you wouldn't believe.

          "Actually, Mr. Stark, I am in the middle of someth—"

          "Listen, it's important." he interjected.

          "Okay, what is it?" I conceded. I knew there was no point in fighting him on this.

          "I just got word from Happy about a video that was sent in to our security. I can't talk about it over the phone, but we need you down at headquarters. Now. This is definitely something you are going to want to hear about. Be here in an hour." he finished, hanging up the phone despite my start at a protest.

          I groaned, running my fingers through my hair. I quickly changed into my suit and swung out my bedroom window.

          I flew through the air, swinging in between buildings, guilt growing in the pit of my stomach. Kenzie was still at my apartment, waiting for me to come back. She would probably leave when she realized I was gone, and I left without saying goodbye. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to. But she won't know that, I reminded myself. How could I have thought that such a perfect night could stay perfect?

          I followed the familiar path to the Avengers headquarters, occasionally hitching a ride on a semi or a van. As soon as I was close enough, I swung through the trees surrounding the headquarters, ignoring the occasional shouts from security to stay out of sight.

          I landed on the ground and ran up the steps into the building, and took my mask off.

          "Mr. Stark? Hello? Anybody?" my voice echoed through the walls of the place. I saw Tony walk over and lean on the banister of the top floor, gesturing for me to come up. I attached a web to the banister and swung over, landing right next to Tony.