Rude(?) Awakening

Lucas

Something hits me. I don't know what it is. It hurts, though. A voice calls out to me.

"Lucas! Stay up!" I hear it. I don't recognise it. Maybe I do. I don't know. The world is bright with crimson darkness, beating down on me like a sack of rocks. I hear the voice clearer now.

"Lucas! Try your best!... I'll protect you!" It's familiar. Where am I? I can't move. My eyes are forced open. My everything hurts. I painfully turn my neck to see the figure standing over me, their arms spread.

"Lucas!"

I wake up in an unfamiliar bed. I turn my head and see a very good looking boy. Oh wait, I'm in Ness's house. Oh, I think Ness is very good looking. That's a... Bad thing, right? Guys are meant to like girls... Right? I had this conversation with myself last night.

Ness rolls over in his sleep, turning to face me. He grabs me softly, hugging me close. I feel my face grow hot and I begin hyperventilating quietly. He places my head into his chest and nuzzles into the top of my head. I begin to calm myself down but my face grows ever hotter. I decide to take what I'm given and snuggle into him. I close my eyes and try to go back to sleep.

-

I wake up to Ness's voice calling my name quietly.

"Lucas, wake up!" He whispers. I open my eyes and look up at him. He's blushing violently. I realise what he's blushing about and go a deeper shade than he is.

"Uh, yeah, Ness?"

"... Why are we snuggling?"

I blush harder.

"I have no idea." I lie. It feels bad. It's not really a lie, I don't have any idea. That feels better.

"Ah shit, sorry." He says, sitting up.

"Don't worry, I don't really care." I say, secretly hoping he does it again. I sit up and move to the other side of the bed. He smiles at me and I almost melt. Oh god, do I have a crush on Ness?

"Lucas?" Ness gets my attention.

"Yes?"

"You're the coolest new person I've ever met." I blush at that.

"You're the coolest person I've ever met. What does cool mean?"

Ness laughs. "It means... Like, if you mashed good and interesting together? It's pretty hard to describe it. Like, PSI is cool. Bad guys are not cool. Good guys are cool..."

"Love is cool?"

"Yeah, yeah! Love is cool too. You're getting it."

"Huh. Thanks for the explanation."

"No problem." Ness says, a grin spreading across his face.

-A week later

Oh god, oh god. I think I have a massive crush on Ness. The more I think about it, the more I like it and the more I want it. I'm in the toilets of the arcade, trying my best to not throw up. Hanging out with my crush for a few hours made me so nervous that I'm sick.

There's a knock on the stall door.

"Lucas," Ness says. "You okay in there?"

"Yeah, I'm feeling better." I say. I'm not feeling better, but I'm not feeling worse. I didn't vomit, so that's good.

I step out of the stall and bump into Ness, a worried look on his face.

"Sorry." I say.

"Nah, don't worry about it. Come on." Ness says, taking my wrist with a smile. I smile back and follow him as he leads me outside.

"So you know that adventure I went on?" He asks.

"Yeah?" I answer.

"Yeah, I bought a house with all the money."

"O-Oh." I say, surprised.

He takes me along a cliff face to a house that has a crossed out for sale sign.

"I thought that if we fixed it up or something, you could live in it with your dad instead of living in the hotel." Ness says.

"You would let us have a house?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah. I mean- There's no real reason for me to have it. May as well give it to my best friend." He called me his best friend. He opens the door. The floor is broken, one of the walls is missing and the wallpaper is torn. The furniture is busted up and there's a crow snacking on something dead.

"It has a nice ocean view, at least." Ness shrugs.

I turn to Ness and hug him.

"Thank you." I say, hugging him tighter. He hugs me back.

"Don't worry about it." He lets go as I do, my face heating up.

"I-I'm gonna start moving stuff out of here." I tell Ness. "Feel free to leave, if you want."

I lift up one side of the couch and begin dragging it slowly outside. Ness frowns and takes the other side.

"I'm helping." He insists.

-

We're sitting on the cliff outside the house, our legs dangling out of the missing wall. We look out over the horizon and into the ocean, where the sun can be seen setting. Ness's eyes are closed and he's smiling. I smile too.

"Hey, Ness?" I catch his attention.

"Yeah, Lucas?" He says, keeping his eyes closed. I lean towards him and kiss him on the cheek. Why did I do that?

"Thank you so much."

Ness grows flustered and begins blushing wildly, his face showing disbelief. He leans towards me and kisses me on the cheek.

"It's my pleasure." He whispers into my ear.

Holy shit.