But he had no choice. Mila was safest there. Still there was so much out in the open, so many enemies, so much danger for a girl like her. To be honest Elijah feared his own family the most. He wasn't sure what they would do to her. 

Klaus had stayed away since their encounter, which was a wise choice. Elijah would rip him to shreds if he touched Mila again. 

Elijah's car wasn't filled with belongings and personal stuff. It was nearly empty, just two suitcases were in the trunk. They both didn't have many precious things. Just some clothing and the edition of Gray's Anatomy Elijah gifted Mila. Most importantly they had each other, even though they weren't much of a help for their problems right now. Still it was good to know that someone was there. 

Mila feared two things the most right now. First, meeting her twin sister for the first time. For sure she would stick around, this was about her family and she would do everything she could to reunite them.

Second, Mila had the lingering feeling that going to New Orleans was the beginning of the end of her relationship with Elijah. She already felt that he was drifting away from her. It was because he feared that he would become someone else if they forced him to get his memory back. What would happen if he really would become this person? The old Elijah? Would they still love each other? 

So many questions to be answered. But Mila wasn't ready to face them yet. 

She took one last glance into the beautiful apartment. Mila would miss it. The apartment, Laura, her work, everything. No one would notice that she wouldn't come to work anymore. They all would just notice that their chief of surgery suddenly left. Together with her. But still, she would miss the patients, the OR, even the bad food of the cafeteria. Especially now that she didn't know if she ever would work as a doctor again. 

Silently they got into the car and Elijah started the engine. He looked at her with pain in his eyes. Of course he felt sorry for ripping her from her life. He felt so guilty. But it didn't help right now. 

Elijah sighed and turned to look on the street, but Mila placed her hand on his on the stirring wheel. 

"Can we stop at a certain place. I need to make some more goodbyes." 

He nodded and lightly squeezed her hand before driving down New York's busy streets. Mila rested her head against the window and closed her eyes to hold the tears back. She definitely would miss the city that was meant to be her start over. 

...

But those weren't the last tears she would shed on this day. 

Mila stood in a graveyard, Elijah some feet behind her, watching her but giving her some space. She was thankful for that. The young doctor knew that he was looking around alarmed, knowing that this was a dangerous place to be for her. A place where enemies would expect her. 

She was home. Where it all began. At place where her innocence was destroyed forever. But also the place where she spent a lovely and happy childhood. But now it only reminded her of her parent's death. 

Mila looked down to the small gravestone. Bending down, she stroked over the engraved names. She couldn't afford to be creative with the gravestone and to be honest she didn't care at that time. Mila had cared for her parents, she loved them beyond everything while they lived. But they were dead now, a stupid gravestone was the least of their problems. Even of they could see in this freaked out new world, they couldn't care less, too. For them, it was important to be good to the living. 

Their friends seemed to stop caring, too. No flowers were on the dirt in front of the stone. Only rotten roses were the last remembrance of their funeral. 

Mila placed the white rose on the stone. She wouldn't be able to visit the grave any time soon. But it was ok. She just wanted to say goodbye with her right mind. Because when she left, she was head over heels, she hated everything and everyone. At some point she even blamed her parents. But now everything was different. She had found out things she wasn't sure they knew of. Mila changed a lot and it was good for her and, of course, she met Elijah. The man the helped her through it. Even if they were going through another change now, she would never forget that. 

A new stream of tears fell down her pale cheeks, which she found so pathetic. But she couldn't stop herself from it. Elijah stepped closer to her, she felt his breath in her neck and for a second, she forgot the situation around her and turned around and simply hugged him, buried her face in his chest. Thankfully, he wrapped his arms around her torso and pulled her close, stroking back which helped her a little. 

When the tears dried off, she lifted her face and their lips immediately met. He kissed her gently and helped her taking her mind off the horrible things on their heels. It showed her that she meant everything for him and also that this was the reason why he was acting so strange since New Orleans was in the play. He simply was too afraid of loosing her. 

"You think your brother caused the explosion, don't you?" 

She caressed his cheeks when he looked down ashamed. 

"I'm sure of it. I'll make him pay for this, Mila." 

Mila sighed, now it was her that glanced away. 

"No, you don't. If we want to have a chance in New Orleans, we need to get along with your family." 

He took her hand from his face but still held it as he began walking away from the grave. 

"Mila, they caused me nothing but pain. Even if I don't remember it, they are not good of us. They'll try to use you. The only thing I could do is trying to protect you from them." 

She nodded. This would be pretty hard if they had to live in the same house. Because Mila was sure they would expect that she would be always close, so Klaus could see his daughter. She could understand that. But it would destroy the last pieces of freedom she had. 

"...But you don't know what will happen if you get your memories back. You're afraid that you'll do everything to destroy the Hallow. Which surely would lead to my death." 

Again Elijah looked down. It tormented him to not really know who he was. How he would react. 

"Do you want your memories back?" 

Mila stopped and locked eyes with him. She wanted no more changing of topics when they spoke about it. Tonight, she wanted a clear answer.

"No, I don't." 

He couldn't. It would destroy him, he was sure of that. And he had everything he wanted right in front of him. It only could get worse. Elijah didn't want to be a monster anymore. He wanted to be the man that the beautiful, loving, compassionate Mila Labonair fell in love with. 

"Well then, let's not let that happen."