Chapter 9

Mila didn't find enough sleep after she arrived home. The issue with Dan and this whole life changing situation stole every peace she could've found. But surprisingly what kept Mila really awake were her complicated feelings for Elijah. If they were feelings at all...maybe it was just what he seemed to promise. Comfort, a teacher, someone that understood her situation. No one else could be that for her. 

She peeled herself from the couch before Dan awoke, as she wasn't sure how to approach him. Did he even remember last night? It hurt her seeing him like this and she still felt guilty. But that couldn't be her concern right now. For once she needed to care for herself, to figure out who the 'new' Mila was. 

After getting ready, she rushed to the hospital even though her shift was only in the evening. She needed to keep herself busy and also hoped that Elijah would be there so she could ask him more questions. 

The young werewolf was lucky, Elijah stood on the station desk as always, doing paperwork. Mila figured that he didn't really like to sit extracted from the hospital's life in his office, so he took most of the work outside, so he was a part of the ward and its busyness. 

"Good morning." 

She chirped, trying to be cheery, but feeling miserably concerning the deep blue circles under her eyes and her pale skin. Elijah turned around and looked at her surprised. It was quickly replaced with worry, as he saw how exhausted she seemed. 

"You should go back home and sleep Mila. Your shift is in the evening." 

Mila bit her lip and looked away. She was sure that he could see right through her so she wouldn't even try to lie. It was a good thing that he had already back to his papers. 

"I can't." 

Startled, Elijah's gaze turned back to her. She was right, he could see right through her. Something else had happened last night, not concerning her broken curse. 

"What happened?" 

He whispered so no one but her could hear. Mila shook her head defeated and pushed some stray strands of hair behind her ears. The motion captivated his eyes, as he deeply wished to touch the soft skin of her face. 

"It's alright, Elijah, nothing you can help me with. To be honest I hoped to catch you here to continue my questionnaire." 

Elijah looked at her warily before dropping the topic. Maybe she would tell him later if he didn't press the matter further. He was sure that this had something to do with this useless lad she dated. He sighed and handed her a clipboard.

"Come, you'll assist me in my round. I've got an interesting case for you. You can ask me whatever you want in between. Later one we can continue in my office if you help me with some paperwork." 

She chuckled, but nodded and followed him on his way. 

"That sounds like blackmail, Dr. Mikaelson. You're using me." 

Mila enjoyed that they hadn't lost their ease. In between the serious stuff, they still could be joking around. 

"It's my job to push residents around and use them for the dirty work. I'm chief after all, Dr. Labonair." 

His trademark, concentrate pokerface was on his face, but Mila knew that he was amused. He even winked at her shortly, which she saw from the corner of her eye as they entered a patient's room. 

"How old are you?" 

She blurted out after they left the room again. Her cheeks flushed, she spoke before she thought. How embarrassing and rude.