9◇ CONFRONT HIM

Start from the beginning

Riley watches as her mom quietly makes her way to the bedroom door, looking anxiously around the room before entering. The last time she saw Riley this mad was a year ago, the day her father died. She knew what she shouldn't say.

"I should probably explain." Laura tells her with a tiny smile. Riley stares at her.

"Yeah, you should. Explain to me what he's doing here, where he's been for the past god knows how long, if he's going to stay here, why I don't remember him! Does he even know about dad?" Riley shouts at her mom, leaning forwards from the headboard and swinging her legs off of the bed so she can face her mom.

"Yes, he does. Im sorry, I should've told you sooner." Laura mumbles and comes to sit on the end of Riley's bed. Riley leans back.

"How old is he?" She asks, staring at her mother, trying to stay calm.

"He's twelve." Laura tells her quietly, a small smile on her face. Riley rolls her eyes at her mom.

"Why don't I remember him? I don't remember him! Where has he been?" She raises her voice at her mom, who flinches and sighs. Riley doesn't feel remorse for scaring her mom. She wants answers and she's had a rough day.

Laura sighs and takes a moment to choose her words. Riley's phone buzzes but she doesn't look. It's probably Gwen or Harry wondering if she's okay. Maybe it's Peter.

"He's been with your Aunt." Laura tells her. Riley shakes her head with disbelief.

"My Aunt? Mom, he's your son! Why would you give him to your sister? What happened? Honestly, mom!" Riley shouts and gets up from her place on her bed to stand near her window, leaning against the window seat and staring at her mother.

"It's complicated Riley-"

"I don't care! I want answers mom! I wanna know why he's been out of my life for as long as I can remember and why he hasn't even been brought up in conversation once!" Riley shouts and takes a step towards Laura, her mother sighing and looking at the floor, wringing her hands together.

"Okay." She says, ready to tell Riley what happened and why Jaeden hasn't been here.

"Okay." Riley mumbles, accepting that her mom is ready. She sits down on the window seat, leaning forwards on her legs, listening to what her mom is going to say.

"You don't remember him because he left when you were only six. He was only a toddler. He doesn't really remember you either, apart from the photos we sent him to keep him up to date." Laura rambles on for a moment, Riley just stares at her, waiting for her to get to the point.

"You were playing with him, one day in the street, we were watching from the house. And he was on his little peddle bike, you were watching him, cheering him on." Laura says, a few tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

Riley listens with interest, she's never heard anything about her brother until today. And now she's hearing about playing with him in the street when she was little.

"Your father and I, we turned away, for one minute to talk to the neighbours. And when we turned back, you were screaming." Laura says and let's out a little cry. Her hand flies to her mouth and tears trickle down her face. Riley makes no effort to comfort her. Deep down she wants to, but she needs to stay angry. She has a reason to be.