19. [➳whatever it takes]

Start from the beginning

"What? I thought Valentine killed Jace's father." Simon said from behind.

"He tried." Michael replied as he looked at Simon. Luke then approached us and bent down in front of us as Michael turned to look at him. "Hello Lucian."

"This can't be. I thought I'd never see you again." Luke said still is disbelief.

"I never thought I'd never see anyone again." Michael whispered.

"What happened?" Luke asked as he looked at Jace, who's condition seemed to worsen with every minute.

"Demon got him. He can't fight the poison. His runes are too weak and he needs blood but we can't go back to the institute." Clary said and then she stood up and walked over to Simon. "Simon, there's gotta be some kind of blood at Hotel Dumort. Can you call Raphael and ask him?!"

"Calling won't work. We have to do this in person. My van is in the garage. You or Brielle drive, I'll hide under a blanket to stay out of the sun and there's underground parking at the hotel." Simon said and Clary nodded.

She walked over to Jace. "Listen to me, we're coming back. Please just, hang on." Clary pleaded as he caressed his face. "I don't wanna leave you." She whispered. I sighed.

"I'll stay with him. Go." I said and Clary turned to look at me.

"Please don't let him die." Clary begged. I gave her a small nod before she and Simon walked out.

I approached Jace and bent down to wipe off some sweat from his forehead. "We need to lie him down."

"There's a sofa on the back. Help me carry him." Luke said and I nodded.

We quickly grabbed Jace and carried him to the back of the restaurant. We walked over to the sofa and carefully layed him down. Luke walked out to bring some water, leaving me, Jace and Michael alone. I bent down, grabbed a piece of cloth again, and wiped more sweat off his forehead. He seemed barely conscious.

"You'll be alright, I promise." I whispered. He gave me one last look before closing his eyes. I sighed as I realized he passed out.

"Thank you, for staying behind to take care of my son." Michael said to me from behind. I stood up slowly and turned around to look at him.

"Jace has been by our side the whole time since we were shoved into this world, unconditionally. I'm not gonna let him die." I replied bluntly. "Besides, Clary seemed uneasy about leaving him alone."

"So... Clary and him are... together?" Michael asked me.

"Yeah, something like that." I said as I nodded slightly. He gave me a small smile.

"I feel as if I know you and your sister. You two are so much like your mother. You are fearless, and loving, and you got a mind on your own. A little stubborn, perhaps?" He asked as he smiled again.

"Yeah... but I won't change who I am." I replied.

"And you shouldn't. It served Jocelyn well. She hid you two from Valentine long enough for you to grow up without him poisoning your minds." He said.

"And she did right. Even though I was pissed at her at the beginning, I understand why she did it. She loved us whatever else, and he was and still is a total psychopath." I replied with venom lacing through my voice. I despised that psychopath with a passion.

"There was no whatever else for her. I knew she was carrying you two when she fled away from him. But I never told him, no matter how much he tormented me." Michael said as he turned to stare at the nothing, as he was remembering something.