CHAPTER TWO

Whitedust's parents just stared at her.

Read minds?! Harp thought, Oh no, what if I was right? What if someone did hurt her, and caused her brain damage? What will we do with her then?

Whitedust flinched. Her heart seemed to have cracked a little when her mother thought that last question.

Harp responded to Whitedust's gesture. Her wings ruffled. Did she just read my mind? Harp inhaled sharply. Does she know about Oryx? About- she stopped with every bone in her body not to think about Oryx. Whitedust... she thought, cocking her head. Can you hear me?

I should answer right? Whitedust nodded and Harp gasped loudly.

"What?!" Oryx asked, looking at both of them.

"She can read minds!" Harp exclaimed. "How?!" She seemed to have been asking Oryx instead of Whitedust. As if he out of all the dragons and Pyrrhia knew about her special ability.

Oryx shrugged his shoulders innocently. "How should I know?"

Harp turned to Whitedust. "Can you read your father's mind? She asked.

Whitedust felt as if she was hosting some sort of giveaway. "Aaannd the next secret I will tell you iiiis..."

"No." Whitedust replied. "I could before dinner, but now his mind doesn't seem to be letting off anything."

Harp look more confused than ever. She looked at Oryx and thought, We'll talk later, you and your-

"No!" Harp begin. "Forget I thought that, Whitedust.

Whitedust just stared at her mother. I'm so sorry. I thought you would be able to help my abilities, but it seems as though you are just as clueless as I am.

I have to preserve my thoughts! Harp thought. What if I give out too many secrets? She looked up at Whitedust. "I'm so sorry. I love you Whitedust, but I just- I can't!" She said, and then swept away from the table.

Well. Now I am alone with Dad. Whitedust thought.

"Dad..." Whitedust stammered. "How did you, well kind of just. Like, maybe, uh.. Sort of... Block your mind?"

"Whatever do you mean?" Oryx said curiously. "Block?"

"I can't hear your thoughts..." Whitedust answered.

"That's not my fault, or doing." Her father said bewildered, spreading his wings out.

"I know, I'm just a little... worried is all." Whitedust said wondering what Harp's secret was. It seemed deeply revolved around Oryx. It had to be something big, considering on how her mother had reacted.

"Don't be worried, my little Snow." Oryx said, lifting her chin in his talons.

Snow had always been Oryx's nickname for Whitedust, because apparently, white dust was just snow. Whitedust always wondered why they didn't just name her Snow.

Whitedust smiled at her father. I have so many questions! How do you think I can read minds, when I'm not even related to a NightWing at all? and, Do you have any secrets? What secrets? and, Is Mother hiding something from us, or is it just me? and most of all, Will the entire tribe know that I'm weirder than everyone thinks I am? Will they fear or love me?

"Dad." She asked, "We will keep this a secret. Right? No one knows except us, and Mom?"

"Of course!" Oryx said smiling at her. "Anything."