Chapter 2 - A New Friend?

Warning: My POV's will change from Jean to Marco

The freckled boy smiled at Jean while he was introducing himself.

"I'm guessing you're Jean?" Marco guessed, trying to catch up with him.

"Yeah." He kept walking, heading for the math classroom.

"What class do you have next?"

"Math, room 109." Jean replied. 'Jeez, what does this guy want from me?' He thought.

"Cool. Me too." Marco smiled. 'I hope Jean likes me.' He thought. 'I need some new friends, and Jean seems really nice.'

Marco followed Jean to the class, taking his new seat across the room. He looked over at Jean, and the brunette just looked away. Marco's slight smile faded and he continued to work on his math. Something about Jean intriqued him, and he had no idea why. He was the closet thing he had to a friend right now, and he didn't want to ruin it although he was already sure Jean didn't like him.

Jean worked on his math, reducing fractions as quick as he could. Math was the only thing he was good at, and the only thing he wasn't made fun of for. Out of the corner of Jean's eye he saw Marco peer at him, and he turned his head in the other direction. 'Could I really get along with this guy?' Jean had said that with many friends before, and they had all betrayed him and left him heartbroken. 'C'mon, he looks nice. He can't be that bad, can he?' His subconcious urged him. Jean sighed and let it take over. He was only giving him one shot, and if Marco screwed it up it was done.

--a few hours later---

The bell rang for the third time, sounding lunch. Jean rose out of his seat, waiting for Marco to catch up with him.

"Hey," Jean called out to Marco across the room. He looked surprised to see Jean call out his name.

"Uh, Hey." Marco replied back, walking with Jean.

"So, basically we have lunch first, then three more periods to end the day with." Jean told him, walking towards the cafeteria.

"O-Okay." Marco blushed as Jean lead him to the lunch room. 'Why am I blushing?' He tried to hide the redness in his cheeks as they picked up their trays and started down the lunchroom.

"So, howcome you transferred?" Jean asked, cocking his head to the side as they sat down.

Marco hesitated as he sat down across from Jean, not sure if he trusted him yet. Marco took a risk and decided to tell Jean, hoping no one would overhear.

"U-Uh, well..," Marco fiddled with his hands. "I-I got bullied a lot in my old school, a-and one t-time they s-started beating me, a-and..." Marco trailed off, not being able to meet Jean's eyes.

Jean felt sorry for Marco, for he had been bullied earlier in life too. "Trust me, no one will hurt you here, I won't let it happen." Jean blushed. 'Why am I promising to protecting him? Is it because I feel bad for him? Or...?' Whatever the reason was, Jean snapped himself out of it.

"Do you know what dorm you're in yet, Marco?" Jean asked. Marco shook his head.

"I won't know until tonight." Marco answered, stuffing his face with pizza. He hoped that his roomates were nice, at the very least.

Jean nodded, wondering where Marco would be placed.

"Let's go throw our trash out," He told the freckled boy, walking towards the trashcans. Jean looked at Marco for a few moments. 'Why did I blush earlier?' Was all Jean could keep thinking about. 'Do I actually..like?' No, he thought to himself. Why would he? Jean barely even accepted Marco as a friend, and it was to become nothing more.

--

Jean plopped down on his bed, glad to be 'home'. He took a Coke out of the mini fridge and gulped it down. He didn't know what to think about Marco. Was he even a friend? Jean shook his head, and decided not to think about it right this moment. He decided to do the one thing that clears his mind; math. Jean sat down at his wooden desk, pencil in his hand and his glasses on the bridge of his nose. No one knew he had glasses, not even his family. The door creaked open and he saw the freckled boy once again.

"J-Jean?"