Chapter 1- The Beginning 1.0

The door creaked as he stepped through.

"Father, why are you back so early?" she asked.

"Sakiya, go get changed. Hurry. They'll be here in fifteen minutes."

She sighed as she walked up the wooden steps. She knew better than to argue with her father. Quickly, she put on her cream tinted dress, a lace veil, and her black heeled shoes, and headed downstairs.

As she approached the kitchen to talk with her mother about her father's strange behavior, she heard loud whispers.

"Hideki, what are you doing sending our daughter off like that?" she heard her mother say.

"It's time for me to retire. As much as I want to protect her, it's time," her father replied.

Sakiya gasped and turned pale. She knew what her parents were speaking of. All her life, she had been preparing to be the best possible leader for the country. 

Taking a deep breath, she mentally prepared herself for the role...

You're strong and brave. You're courageous and confident. You're the best person they could choose. You have the genes inside of you to rule like your parents and grandparents before you. You can do it.

With her motivational speech, she headed into the kitchen. "Mother, father. I'm ready. You don't need to worry about me," she reassured her parents. Her mother broke down in tears, burbling about how her daughter was growing up.

Suddenly, they all heard a knock on the door. The carriage was here. Sakiya quickly said goodbye to her parents for the last time, then stepped outside into the afternoon light.

*********************************************************************************************

June 10th, R. 0040

Dear grandmère,

There's no point writing this letter. You won't read it anyway, but it serves as a closing for me, I guess. I hope you never read it because you'll hate that I'm not using formal language. I just want to ask why. Why did you let yourself get pulled in, even though it was leading to your own downfall? Why did you hate our family? What did we do?

Also, I just wanted to tell you that... we miss you. Even if you never talked to us, dad is upset. He says he's not coming to your funeral. However, I'll think I'll go and bring those lilies you wanted. I just wanted to let you know, even though you never spoke a word to me, I still loved you.(Grandp­ère loves you too. Mother says he cries himself to sleep at night).

Lastly, I needed to say this.

Grandmère, I'm sorry. I'm sorry we weren't here for you when you needed us. I'm sorry father didn't listen to you. I'm sorry I was born. I'm sorry that we weren't the perfect family you dreamed of. I'm sorry for all I've done. Also, thank you. Thank you for giving father his last chance. Thank you for everything.

I hope you're happy,

Sakiya Suzuki

A/N- Sorry for the short chapters. I need to set up the exposition first. 

P.S-Also, for those still in school,  when are you going back? I go back on the 22nd.

P.P.S- The picture above is Sakiya's bedroom.