“Men, we’re out,” Manson spoke even tone, yet his eyes were still on mine.

Quickly they left without another word, leaving Ed and I alone in the room.

“That man of yours is crazy,” Ed said, breaking the silence.

“Crazy he is,” I said almost in a whisper. “Mine, he isn’t.”

I stared out toward the window, making sure I couldn’t see Aaron in the hands of Mr. Manson and his men.

“I’ll get you some soup after I get the rest out of the attic.”

I just nodded my head, my eyes glued to the window. I really wondered if he would return. I slid down into the bed to look out the window, wanting him to come back. That was when it hit me how pathetic I was acting. We really didn’t care for each other in the sense of love, but he did kiss me. He was probably just afraid he was going to die. It wasn’t like there was a repeat of the kiss, and we hadn’t even talked about that moment. Argh, when did life get so complicated? I mean, shouldn’t these stupid problems just go away after a month of handling the much greater issues that have come to us? However given our situation, the thought of losing another person was painful.

My legs were a little shaky, but were happy as I walked toward the kitchen a few days later. Just the thought of being out of bed put a smile form on my face. Sean and Paige were sitting on high stools by the counter as they were eating something. I came up behind them and hugged them as they laughed.

“Lauren!” Paige’s happy voice rang out as she wrapped an arm around me as Sean did the same.

“We missed you!” Sean nearly cried into my shoulder.

I kissed the top of both of their heads. I brushed my brother’s hair off to the side.

“I missed you both. It’s nice to be feeling healthy again."

“Hey, Lauren, you’re back to the land of the living.”

I turned to see Cole walking over. He was running his fingers through his brown hair with his bluish green eyes appearing a bit kinder than usual since Aaron wasn’t around. His eyes had the same gleam that used to see.

“I’m happy to be out of bed,” I responded.

“So are we staying here?” Cole asked.

“What?” I was completely shocked.

“Are we going to be staying here with Ed?” he repeated.

“We can’t impose on Ed forever,” I answered, the grin left my face.

“I like Ed. He reminds me of a grandpa!” Paige giggled.

“I like it here too, but I don’t think Ed had planned on keeping us forever,” I replied, looking down at Paige who was pushing small stray of hair behind her ear. She kept her head tilted so she could look at me.

“Girly, loosen up. You’re too young to get wrinkles,” Ed said as he came into the house with a stack of wood in his arms, Jill trailing behind him with some of her own. “You kids can stay here for as long as possible. I’m not kicking you all out.”

I was a bit taken aback by this. “You mean you wouldn’t mind us living here?” I asked, having to make sure that I was hearing Ed right.

“I would take it up with Jerky, but I wouldn’t mind.”

“Is Aaron back?” I was surprised and felt cheerful about hearing this as I tried to hush that feeling down on the inside.

“Of course he isn’t back!” barked Cole. I turned to look at him, my eyebrow raised.