Chapter 2: The Truth and Away

Start from the beginning

“I’m not the one you can order, Ches.” I heard the dial sound. “If you’re not going to tell me, I have no reason to help you stay away from your dad.”

“How can I trust you?” I asked her with soft voice but there’s seriousness in it.

She looked at me, disgusting. She had to be unbelievable about what she heard. She ended the call, her index finger pointed at me. She said, “I helped you a lot of things, protected you but you don’t trust me. Oh, my god. How could you -”

“Okay. I’m sorry. But look -” I swallowed. “I’m afraid that if I tell you the story, you will get involved into this mess and there’re still many enemies I’ll have to face, I can not trust anyone.” I shook my head and covered it by hands.

“But you can trust me.” She said, walking toward and holding my hands. “You can trust me, no matter what I’m your friend. I’m here to help you.”

She was looking at me and I was too. I saw her sincerity and truthful in her eyes. They made me believe that she’s in my side. My gut told me that I could trust her.

“And if it’s about your mom, I’m ready to find her with you.”

“Ha- How can you know this?” I blinked.

“Because both of my parents were taken like yours.”

I should have wondered at first why Jessica’s house was so quiet. I hadn’t seen anyone since I walked inside. To be sincere, it didn’t much bother me to know all things about someone.

I decided to tell her the story. She listened to it silently. Sometimes, she made her face curious but asked me nothing.

“Well, that’s the whole story.” I sighed when I told the last part that I was going to my first house before I met her. I also told her that I still didn’t know exactly what my plan was.

“So, you’re gonna tell me that you’re running away from your dad to find your mom but didn’t know the plan?” She asked me and looked into my eyes. I felt pathetic myself.

“Well, yes.” I answered.

“You stupid!” She turned around and dropped herself heavily on the couch beside her desk.

“I know. I’m stupid to get out of the house and drive a car with no destination. But it’s just something that I can do! I don’t know how to track people like you. My dad doesn’t even give me the clue about mom. The group that took her was just called ‘The Dark’. I don’t even know that it really exists or not. I just -” My mouth was dry. My voice was lost. I swallowed hard and gazed Jessica, “I just want to know that her still alive or not. I just want to see her. I just want to try.” I sniffled and looked above. My hands got rid the tear in my eyes. Jessica walked toward me. She pulled me in. She hugged me.

“That’s okay, Ches. Shh… It’s okay.” She was hugging me and soothing me like I was a little girl but I didn’t push her away. My feeling was becoming better by time.

“Look.” She pushed me out of her hug. She grabbed my with her two arms. It was strong. “We’re going to find your mom and my parents. No matter they still alive or not, Okay? We’re going to make it sure. I’ll be here to help you. We’re friends, remember?” I shook my head. My tears were dry. I breathed in deeply and held my head up to see Jessica.

“Right, thank you, partner.” I smiled. We were smiling. “So, what’s the plan?”

“The plan is…” Jessica was back to her couch. Her hand was touching her chin, she was using her brain. “Is… eat! Gosh, I haven’t had anything since last night.”