Chapter 2: The Truth and Away

Chapter 2

“The Truth and Away”

‘I have been lying to you for almost 13 years and I guessed it’s time for you to know the truth. As I said before, you and your mom are not like other people but it doesn’t mean you are not human. You have powers. I don’t know how many. Before your mom died, she said to me to take care of you, no matter what try to keep you out from this power-thing. But, you know, I can’t. I’m not like her. I’m normal.’

‘What ability she could do, dad?’

‘Well, as I know, she could read minds, which also means she could control people, and she could change time. I mean she could, like, look into someone’s eyes and they’d obey her orders. But it’s not the point. When you’re five years old, you were old enough to use this power as your mother said. But she didn’t train you like other kids. She wanted you to live as normal as possible. Until one day, she was out with you in the park. She didn’t tell me why she was out because actually, she hated to be in public. And then, there’s the group of men coming into our house. It was good time for Charlie that he’s still at school. They were asking about your mom and I said nothing. I told them, I didn’t know.

But before they’re gone, you and your mom were back. I could see the shock in her face but I didn’t know what to do too. They were coming back for me and beating me. I heard your mom screaming. She told them to stop and I could see she used her gift to control their minds for the first time. Everyone stopped and let go of me. But then, there was one tall tan man stepping inside the house. He wasn’t with the group at first. He looked having power like he was their boss. He had a scar above his eyes, it’s was long.  It cut past his eyebrow. I saw he didn’t fall into your mom’s power. Instead, he could ignore it and release everyone.

Your mom stepped back and put you behind her back. That man was walking toward her. He told her to give you to him, to the Dark. Your mom said no and begged them to leave in peace. Suddenly, he snatched you from her. He was grabbing your head with his right hand and said to your mom that she knew what he was going do with you. I saw her crying. She’s screaming to let go of you. But then, that man chuckled and you were falling on the floor. Your mom darted to you. She carried you up and closed her eyes. The next second, the world was stopped and then, there’s a sound inside my head. It’s Carrie’s.

She told me that she knew this day would come, so, she decided to build a shield for you since you were born. What he did to you that day was some kind of cleaning brain I think but it could do nothing to you. It’s just its effect that made you unconscious. She told me that you’d grow up and be different from others. She meant DIFFERENT, really different. She said you would not only better than anyone but also more special. She had no time to explain, this power was going to be vanished soon. Before she went, she told me to take care of you with my life. Be in the busiest city as possible. Don’t let them know that you’re still alive. The shield she built didn’t only protect you from others’ powers but also protect you from letting the power out. And then, the world came back to alive but there’s no sight of Carrie and the group of men. It was just you and me. I saw the clock; it was back in two hours ago. That’s when I realized that your mother travelled back in time for us to pack stuff and go away.

So, it’s the reason why we changed the school or moved to other countries so frequently. Every time we move, I have someone to watch you and for the last one is Jessica.’

‘Did she know?’

‘Well, she doesn’t just know. She’s also same as you. She can move things with her mind. Today, she came by to tell me that you seem weird. You could answer history question, the most hated class of yours. She also suspected since you asked her about the silence of the classroom. She told me to look after you because your shield may seem to be weakening.