Season 1: Chapter 3

'These, will be great resources' Dolls bent down and started to gather up all the files I had spent months putting together, his back turned to me. I was super excited when Wynonna called me in, asking for help and information about all the past earp heirs. I was more than willing to help but I didn't even get a thank you from Dolls. He just listened while I talked and started taking my files when I was done.

'Sorry, I spent years on that research, so-' I smiled kindly, trying to get my point across.

'Welcome to team shut up and do what he says' Wynonna butted in, smiling sweetly at Dolls 'sometimes we get donuts'

Dolls in return smiled with sarcasm before a knock sounded through the door. I scrambled slightly to hide the rest of my files, while Dolls closed a few cupboards. He straightened his back and looked nonchalantly before he spoke 'enter'

To my surprise Nicole walked in, dressed in her police uniform that was slowly growing on me. She glanced at me briefly before looking back at Dolls 'hey, you asked to be alerted when anything unusual comes over the wire'

'Yeah we're coming thanks. Waverley you're dismissed' he looked down at me before I nodded slowly. I peeked up slowly catching Nicole's eye, I felt myself blush when she smiled sweetly at me. Neither one of us noticed Dolls look suspiciously between us both before he marched out the door. Nicole moved to close the door slowly but not before flashing a toothy grin my way first.

'So' I shook my head slowly, turning back to Wynonna 'that's it?'

'He's not really the let's go for drinks and celebrate type' I rose my eyebrows slightly 'you did great, yup' she gave me a high five while also trying not to squash her donut in the process. I watched her walk away out the door while I sat up on the table behind me. I looked around the room and stared at all the old pictures of Earp heirs and their faces on old newspapers. They all did something great or heroic. And what did I do?

I've been asking myself that my whole life. What have I accomplished? I worked my ass off in school, studying every night to get good report cards. And I did. I got all the A's, I never got in trouble. It was never enough though. Wynonna was always the centre of attention growing up. Whether she was running away or not coming back home for days, she was always the main focus. I'm not mad at her, I was never mad at her. I'm just stuck under her shadow. I've come to terms that I'll probably always be under her shadow. I just want to be someone. I want to be enough. Just for once.

'Oh sorry' I looked up quickly and saw Nicole standing in the doorway 'I didn't no anyone was in here. I just came for... are you ok?'

'Ya I'm ok' I replied quickly, putting on a forced smile that strained my cheeks 'I'll get out of your hair'

'Waverley'

'I'll see you later' I moved stiffly towards the door before she unexpectedly shut it behind her, blocking my way.

'Waverley, you're crying' her voice was so gentle it nearly made me stumble.

'What?' I reached up and to my surprise my fingers felt came back shiny with tears 'oh. I'm sorry' I laughed quietly

'Your apologising for crying?'

'I guess I am' I mumbled, taking a step back

'You wanna talk about it?' She offered kindly. I shook my head with a watery smile. My lips parted when I felt her cool hands come up and wipe my tears away. I had to fight the urge to lean into her touch. Her hands lingered against my face before she dropped her arms back to her side.

'I have to go, so I'll see you later' I moved aside as she stepped out of the way of the door. I opened it quickly and rushed out, keeping my head low.