6 . d a f f o d i l

When Dahlia arrived with Jace at Magnus's place, she spotted somebody familiar there.

"Hey, Catarina," Dahlia greeted, "You here for Magnus?"

The blue skinned warlock sighed. "We were supposed to go to London together but it seems as though Magnus either left or doesn't want to open the door."

"I bet he's got music turned up in there," Dahlia said as she slipped her keys out of her pocket.

"Who's this?" Catarina asked, nodding her head toward Jace.

"That's Jace," she replied and as soon as the door clicked open, she heard the music.

"Magnus!" The annoyed warlock moved past Dahlia and into the apartment. The Shadowhunter chuckled nervously, glancing at Jace.

"She's not usually like that," she assured him with a slight smile.

"Not convinced," Jace replied with a nervous smile of his own.

She heard the arguing voices from inside and her eyes drifted from the door to Jace. "You don't have to come in, Magnus and Catarina'll Portal from inside and I won't take too long."

"Okay." He looked relieved. "I'll just wait out here for you."

She was about to turn around when Jace caught her by the wrist. She frowned in confusion. "What is it?"

"Are you okay?" He asked, "Your hands, they're—"

"I'm fine, Jace, you don't have to worry."

She entered the apartment, pocketing her keys and leaving the door open behind her. She turned the music down and looked the two warlocks, raising her eyebrows.

"Lia!" Magnus exclaimed upon seeing her, he sauntered over to her and wrapped his arms around the girl.

"Magnus, are you drunk?" She questioned as she returned the hug.

He scoffed. "I can hold my alcohol, thank you very much."

"Magnus." She pulled away from him. "Wouldn't it be more suitable to turn up completely sober?"

"She's fifteen and she gets it," Catarina said, glancing at the Shadowhunter, "You think he'd know better by now."

Magnus feigned offense. "I'm not drunk."

"It's whatever, Mags," Dahlia said, "I have to go get my stuff."

Magnus nodded while Catarina looked at her, puzzled. "You're not staying here?"

Dahlia shook her head, glancing at Magnus momentarily. "Apparently I'm too reckless and can't be trusted to stay on my own."

"So where are you staying?"

"The Institute," she deadpanned.

"Don't sound too excited," Magnus chimed.

"You know, you're being a bit irrational," Catarina said to Magnus, "Dahlia's perfectly capable of staying here alone."

"They had to call the Silent Brothers," Magnus said impassively.

If Catarina could pale, she would've. A look of surprise took over her features—her eyebrows raised, eyes widened and lips parted.

"But they would—"

"I know," he looked frustrated.

"You guys are speaking like I'm not here," Dahlia piped up.