Mystery

Sorry for the wait! This chapter is almost completely crossed over into the realm of anime haha, but if you didn't know already, basically, Yato is a broke god who wants his own shrine. He was the god of war, but is right now an "Odd-Job" god. Ikebukuro is a district (?) in Tokyo and I'm using it with the Durarara setting. Most cross-over characters won't play a huge role in this fanfic, and the actual cross-over portion would probably be a different story after this one...

Time to take some creative freedom because I don't know the source material as well as I thought I did... (^ ^ U)

Thank you for the reviews/comments/favorites/follows/kudos/votes and all the other things people have been doing with this story! This got more views and votes on Wattpad than I imagined, thanks for the support!

Word count: 2,017 XD

Ikebukuro was a mix of neon lights and tall buildings. The sky was a small sunken hole of darkness, far from the streets that remained as bright as ever. Many people were still outside, chatting with bags in hand and smiles on their faces. A few crowded here and there, giving off an overall feeling of city night life and grown-up parties. Harry looked around with wide eyes that reflected the lively lights around him.

"This is it? This is Ikeburu... Ikeburo...Iburo... um... "

"Ikebukuro?" Yato corrected.

"Yes! You sure this is the place?" Harry hurried to stick closer to Yato. The crowds of people were pushing him back and he was afraid of losing sight of the older man. On the other hand, he didn't want to hold onto Yato as he was independent now, like an adult. Yato raised an eyebrow, bemused.

"What do you mean by that? It's what the sign said, right?"

"Right... Well, it looks a bit... crowded... and wild here..." the boy hesitated.

"Hmmm... well, you'll be fine! Just stick to the brighter areas and you'll be safe!" Yato clapped him on the shoulder, then marched forward firmly. Harry immediately grabbed him, slowing him down, but he only got dragged along.

"Wait! Let's stay in a hotel today!" he insisted. Yato stared at him for a while. Tears suddenly sprouted from his eyes.

"But that'll require a lot of money..." he whined loudly. The image of a confident, big person immediately dissolved into a rather pitiful-looking mess.

"You should have enough money," Harry said uncertainly. "At least for the night..."

"No I don't."

"Yes you do."

They stared at each other stubbornly for a minute, as though it was a competition.

"Alright, alright," Yato finally conceded with a slight pout. "I'll pay for a room. Only today though, got that?"

Harry responded with enthusiastic gestures. They made their way to a cheap, nearby hotel. On their way to the brightly lit place, Harry was yanked over by Yato as a pair of young men, older than himself, but shorter than Yato, chased after each other and almost got hit by the traffic. Harry stared warily, shocked at the scene.

"Be careful kid," Yato patted him on the head. Harry ducked down, quickly snapping his mouth shut. It looked like Ikebukuro would be an interesting place to stay for awhile...

The hotel lights washed the hall with white. They booked a single room for the night, the hotel lady eyeing Yato suspiciously. The soft rocking of the elevator lured in the feeling of fatigue. The boy felt his eyelids grow heavy. With a quiet sigh, he lightly rested his head against the bigger man and dozed off.