1

~back to when her parents were alive, which was when she was 14~

Mom and dad said they were going to go shopping for my birthday. I'm turning 14, and I can't wait! I'm currently with my uncle Mike and my aunt Vanessa. Vanessa is very sick with cancer. I hope she gets better soon. I go into her room to check on her. "Vanessa do you need anything?" I asked. "Can you get me some water please sweetie." She said. I nodded and got her a glass of water. I heard uncle Mike talking to someone on the phone. I waited to listen. "Oh my god where are they? What hospital?! Okay I'll be there, thank you." He said. He saw me. "Oh Riley sweetie, your parents were in a bad car crash. I have to go, you stay here with Vanessa." He said rushing out the door: I dropped the glass of water on the ground. The glass cup shattered. Just like my heart.

"Riley?!" Vanessa yelled. I was in pure shock. My ears began to ring. I blacked out.

~an hour later~

I woke up on the couch. What happened? Uncle Mike was in a chair asleep. I sat up, and I felt a throbbing pain in my head. "Mike?" I said. His eyelids opened. "Riley...listen your mom and dad died...your mom had a slash across her neck..they tried to save her but the cut was way too deep. Your dad...he died right when the crash happened. I'm sorry sweetie." He said. I broke down. This can't be happening. No. Please. "Please tell me this is all just a nightmare!" I shouted. He held me. Vanessa walked into the room crying. I saw in the corner of my eye, a kitten. Whose is that?