ii

| SAFE PLACES |
avalon banks

levi unwillingly drove us all to school the next morning. the sky is dark and gloomy. everything's damp from the rain last night and my thin moccasins get soaked immediately when i step up onto the school's sidewalk. sighing, i tug my pack on one shoulder and walk behind the twins, who follow where all the other students are going.

the school has so many windows and doors, it's hard to tell which is which and what is what. how was anyone supposed to find anything here? out by the main doors, there's a stand that holds school maps on display and i roll my eyes. what kind of school has maps like this, just sitting out for everyday students to find their way around? obviously a privileged one. even though i hate it and am ashamed by it, i snatch one of the maps and shove it into my book bag.

"i'm down this hall," mallory squeals excitedly and i huff and puff like a pouty toddler. she's obviously more excited about this than all of us put together and not that's saying a lot.

"where's your first?" henry says, falling back to walk beside me since chad already fell in line with some guy. it didn't surprise me. i give henry my schedule and he scans it quickly. "we're just a couple doors apart from each other. stand by the lockers beside your class afterwards and i'll meet up with you for next period." henry gives me a small brotherly smile before walking into his own classroom.

quickly, i speed down the hall, making sure i'm not late to my own first period, which is english. the perfect subject to have first thing at seven-thirty in the morning.

walking through the large door, most of the class desks are filled, so i shuffle into the first desk at the very middle of the room. i catch a book title the great gatsby on the board. i've already done the whole great gatsby section of eleventh grade, so i sigh of relief. seconds later, a plump woman rushes into the room, red faced and out of breath. her graying hair frays around her face and i feel bad for her.

"okay you idiotic pests before i start, i'd like to know who actually did their homework last night." absolutely no hands in the room went up and a few students look around and laugh nervously. "that's what i thought. all of you have no excuses except for miss banks." eyes travel around the room, spotting me and i sink down in my desk, rubbing at my forehead to hide my eyes. "and she's actually ahead of you all brainless toads. yes, miss banks, i did my research on you and your old school." i couldn't blush any redder than i already am at this point.

after a few agonizing minutes, mrs osborne, the name of which i just learned, leaves me alone. i adjust myself in my desk and begin writing the notes that mrs osborne is telling us. i catch every detail up until the last one, when a hand taps on my shoulder.

"you needn't be shy, this school's harmless." i turn to meet forest green eyes and i try to smile nicely. "i'm forest, by the way." the shaggy brown headed boy shrugs and gives me a half smile.

"avalon," i whisper over my shoulder. immediately i feel stupid for not saying hello or my name's so and so.

"pretty name," i look further over my shoulder and forest's cheeks have turned a slight shade of light pink. my heart flutters at the small attention i'm getting, even when i know it shouldn't.

"thanks, your's too," i blush madly, like a little girl. we both laugh lightly.

"what's your next class?" forest asks, and i hand him my schedule without hesitation. at the thought of making a friend in my very first period gives me a little bit of happiness. it's better than having no friends all day.