Chapter 10

Tom finished the story as tears started streaming down Emma’s face. “Why did you make it end like that?” She asked. He gently placed his hand on her arm, which made her flinch in surprise.
     “I didn’t write the story. I’m just telling it.” Emma wiped away the rest of her tears.
     “Could you tell me a story with a happy ending? Why did Prince John become Lord Thomas? Why do you share a name?”
      “Someone’s curious” Tom said, laughing. “Next time, I will tell you a story with a happy ending, though the story doesn’t really end. Lord Thomas didn’t want to go by John, it sounded too much like the English prince John, whom no one liked much. So he picked Thomas. No one who was evil was named Thomas, so he was unique. I just happened to be named Thomas, though I go by Tom. It’s just a coincidence.”
     “Okay. I guess you want me to leave now?” Emma asked.
     “No!” Tom said too quickly. “I mean, if you want to stay a little longer, you may.” Emma chuckled.
"Looks like you do want me to stay. If you won’t tell me about yourself, what can we talk about?” She asked.
    "Other things” Tom said.
    “That’s really specific” Emma replied, her sarcastic side coming out. He blushed.
     “I mean, we can talk about anything you want, just, if I don’t want to answer a question, or if you don’t, we don’t have to, okay?” he asked.
     “Okay” Emma agreed. She thought for a moment, then a gleam lit in her eyes. “Do you have a girlfriend?” she asked.
     “Really? That question?” Tom said. “No, I don’t. I never have had one, in fact. The shop takes up most of my time. It’s a full time job.”
     “Seems boring” Emma said.
     “It’s actually more interesting than I thought.” Tom said. “So, do you have a boyfriend? Now that we’re discussing this..” he trailed off awkwardly.
     “No.” Emma said firmly. “Maybe never.”
     “What are you talking about? You’re pretty!” Tom said.
     “No, just average, but thanks for saying that.” Emma said.
   “No, really, you’re pretty. I bet you’d look absolutely stunning in the women’s apparel back home…” Tom trailed off, lost in thought.
     “Tom?” Emma said, waving her hand in front of his face.
     “Oh, sorry. “ He said. “Just thinking.”
     “Okay” Emma said, smiling.
     “You know what? You should probably leave now. I’m sorry.” Tom said, getting up and moving towards the door, almost pushing Emma out.
     But before he closed the door, he gave Emma a quick hug, then  let the door click closed.
    Emma slowly walked away, confused, while Tom watched. He looked up and spoke to the ceiling. “I think she’s the one. I’ve changed, can’t you see? What more do I need to do?” he asked.
       "She needs to learn everything you’ve done, or at least a little more, and she needs to believe. But, yes, she is the one” the old woman said, standing in the corner.
     “Look at me, boy.” she said. He did, shifting his stance. “Son,” Elanor said, her face softening. “I know you’ve changed. You’ve made great progress, in fact. You were cold until you met her. She makes you become something…different. And it’s good. But she needs to believe, and love you. Until then, I can’t revoke what I’ve done. You need her. “ and with that, Elanor disappeared. Tom sighed and looked down at the floor.

                       .   .   .

    Emma came back the next week, and weeks after, a smile on her face. She was starting to really enjoy her visits, and Tom was unlike anyone she had ever met. He was kind, funny, though there was something sad about him.
    He was waiting at the door, and Emma was surprised, since he'd never done that before. Tom had told her a few stories, and this was the eighth. He had a lot of stories, and though she enjoyed them, she loved his company more.
    “Tom!” Emma smiled, throwing her arms around his neck. “I’m so glad to see you!” He hugged her back, a smile on his face
     “I’m glad that you like to visit to me. It makes me happy, and I’m not as lonely.”
      “That’s good” Emma said. She stepped into the shop, and looked around. So many objects were gone, but Tom had said it was because he was keeping track of which story he had told her. She wandered over to a shelf and picked up a bow. “What’s the story behind this?” Emma asked, stroking the wood, and turning it over her hand.
    “That’s the huntress’s bow. Her story is a story of strength, though she's had many trials in her life. She doesn’t die, and she never, ever gives up” Tom said, like he knew her personally.
“Her name is Jenna, and her story starts when she’s a young woman living in a forest…”

A/N: I couldn't end on a sad note, so I put this in. It is unedited from a few years ago (mostly), so I hope you'll forgive the flaws. And while you're reading this, some of my friends are writing things, so please check out Pinky Promise by finallysaved10. It's a work in progress (all of them are), and it's super good. I can really connect to the mc in some ways. The next one is ...Just Hold On by OnlyLoveOnlyYou.  Also a relatable character, the story has enough drama that you don't need any in your own life XD. But really, it's good. And the third is by my cousin, the one and only OCanada_. It's called Unsung Hero, and my cousin originally told me not to read her stories, so trust me when I say I'm reading it for me.
These ladies are fabulous, and so is  else reading this. Don't forget to check out their other stories, since they're also amazing.
Have a wonderful week, and I'll update this Saturday, since school's starting again for me, and Saturdays are easier.

Bisous!

~Hannah~