Prologue

I push my bag ahead of me while I search for a seat in the crowded train. People crammed into small carriages, giving it a claustrophobic feel. I finally come across one, small window seat. I place my tattered brown bag on the ground and open the frosted window as wide as I can and lean out of it, the cold air immediately flushing my cheeks.

'I'll see you when this is over,' My mother smiles, stretching to stroking my hair.

I lean my head into her warm hand, inhaling her scent one last time. The whistle blows, signaling that I should sit in my seat.

'I love you, mum,' I Smile, blurry eyed.

'I love you, too,'

I close the now misty window, my eyes never leaving my mothers face through the blur the contrast of heat and frost have caused across the glass. I have no idea if i'll ever even see her again, but i must remain hopeful as it will keep me alive.

A piercing scream deafens my thoughts, shots ring through the air. A flood of people run from on end of the platform towards the front of the station. A clearing shows a man with scruffy facial hair in a long black coat, holding a gun, firing reckless shots towards those in his vision. I turn to my mum, seeing her confused expression. I scream through the glass at her to run, but I'm too late. A bullet passes straight through her head as she falls to the ground, motionless. The crimson red blood creating a dark pool beneath her head. I can no longer breathe. All the air left my body as a tidal wave of emotions surges through my body.

'MUM!' I scream, tears falling down my cheeks.

I scream, jumping from my seat, slamming my fists against the window, as that's all I can do as the train makes a speedy departure. But I'm not the only one screaming for a loved one as the carriage ignites with despair.