Chapter 24. Feeling Red

Start from the beginning

She snapped open her eyes and reminded herself that he couldn't  be trusted. He was a liar. But what if he wasn't lying when he said those things about her, and how he felt? No, she had to shake the thought. 

She hauled the trash over the dumpster, and for once, went back inside from the back without a single disturbance.

The rest of work by slow. Brooke had the day off, and it was just Moira, and Venus. Marge had been busy counting register, and had left the two together. Venus safely assumed that Marge had no idea about Demetri's true roots, along with Moira's for she seemed oblivious to their tension. Marge had warned Venus that he was "trouble" but that was what everyone thought. 

Venus prepared the last table, and peered to her right. Table 4, sat a few booths over.  

That dastardly table. Where all the trouble began. If only she hadn't served the table that day, if only she hadn't worked that day. Would the two still have been on the current terms? Would she have discovered his secret one way or another? 

"Venus?"

Moira's voice caused her to jump.

"What?" Her words came out loose, and distant. She kept her back turned to Moira, like how Moira had done to her. 

"Can we talk?" The goth tried.

"About what? I'm off right now so I should get home."

"Perfect, I'll walk with you."

Venus's frown deepened. 

"Really, I think it's fine."

"Kidnapped girls around here, remember? You might not want me as your company, but given the situation-"

"Yeah? Which situation are you referring to?" Her voice dripped with poison, and Moira recoiled as though she'd been bitten. She kept her composure, although she definitely didn't enjoy taking an attitude for anyone. She bit her tongue as she allowed Venus to seethe. Any emotion was better than none at all, right?

Venus seemed deep in thought for a moment.

With a sigh, she set down the rag, and began to grab her things from the chair. 

"Let's go."

-

The air outside was brisk, and chilly. It was nice, and refreshing. It Venus feel like she could breathe again, even if it wasn't like how it used to. As the two passed by the buildings, Venus began to wonder about the townspeople. Who were these people she'd been living with since 16? What were they?

"Look, Venus, I'm sorry."

"For what? Lying to my face? Letting me be a pawn in someone else's game?" Venus's voice began to raise, the anger building in her very being. 

"I get it, okay? I get that you're upset. I would be too," Moira replied. Her stilettos were the only other thing breaking the silence. 

"No, no you don't!" Venus halted in the middle of the dark street, preparing herself for a fight. "My world was just turned upside down, Moira! Maybe you've been living in this sick, twisted world that you can call your home, but I can't!" Venus hissed. Moira glared daggers at her friend.

"I didn't pick this, Vee! You think I wanted to be apart of this shit?" 

Venus scoffed. "Oh, please, I'm sure you're loving the thrill of it! C'mon, you hate this place, and the people. You obviously love the drama, and guess what, you're in the very core of it! I heard about Reese. A Peacekeeper? Magic? Sounds completely, and totally, 100% Moira!"