▹ FOUR

-

-

''ARCHIE ANDREWS.''

The red head blinks rapidly on stage, the reality more nerve wracking than the rushed thoughts going through his head.

The Variety Show was coming up. A lot like a talent show, you could say.

Hazel Michael sat next to Veronica Lodge in the front row that early morning in the auditorium with a group Hazel learned to be Josie and The Pussyats; a fierce African American singing girl group, sitting behind them.

Kevin Keller, however sat a little further down from the girls at his own secluded table. He spoke into the microphone and questions, ''And what will you be auditioning with?''

Archie stood with his mouth open for a brief moment, preparing what should be a proper and confident response.

But instead, he stammers out, ''Uh, an original song that I wrote called I'll Try.''

''Try harder!'' Someone from the few that were in the auditorium exclaims. His remark was followed by an obnoxious roar of laughter. ''Maybe try not sucking so much!''

Hazel rolls her eyes. ''What a bunch of dicks.''

Veronica waves her off with a polite smile. ''They are, but, Archie's got this audition at the palm of his hand.''

''Take your time, Archie,'' Kevin encourages, but his tone contradicted otherwise. ''Though, we do have people waiting.''

Her eyes narrowed at the glistening shine of sweat brightly opposed on his forehead along with the rosy shade of blush creeping up on his cheeks as his shaking hands fidgeted to touch the microphone.

His gaze never left the floor and he sucks in his lips.

''Oh my god,'' Veronica breathes out in disbelief. ''What's happening?''

''He's choking,'' One of the girls from the group leaned forward and informs them.

''Archie,'' Kevin calls. ''Clock's ticking.''

''Excuse me. Sorry, I gotta go.''

While he ran off of the stage, there was laughter and applaud mocking Archie and his stage fright.

With sad eyes, Hazel's gaze never left off of his physique, even when he was physically gone. Her green eyes remained on the double doors with a pout dragging both corners of her lips.