Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

    "I've never had a family," the girl admitted, tucking a loose strand of her golden hair behind her ear. "My parents died when I was a baby and I was in that orphanage until Gilliam adopted me nearly a year ago." 

    Rose shivered. "I'm sorry he got his hands on you." 

    "It could have been worse," Kaitlyn replied, her green eyes haunted. "He only had me for a year... he had you much longer." 

    They both fell silent. Rose swallowed hard against the memories. It was so easy to forget that Kaitlyn was only eleven years hold. Her life, both in the orphanage and with Gilliam, had aged her soul drastically. 

    Rose shook off the bad thoughts and offered a smile. "Well let's get this breakfast finished so that His Highness can have something to fill his stomach." 

    Kaitlyn smiled in return. "Pa does get awfully grumpy when he's hungry." 

    Rose laughed. "Yes he does." 

***   

    Marston watched out of the corner of his eyes as Langley grunted to lift a full bucket of water. The boy's eyes widened as he realized he couldn't and then he fell backward and water soaked his clothes. 

    Marston's laughter rang out. "It's not funny, pa!" Langley snapped grumpily. "Now I'm all wet!" 

    His whining only made Marston laugh harder. He held out his hand and helped the boy to his feet. "That's why it's funny," Marston assured him. 

    Langley glared up at him and scooped the bucket up. "I guess I better go fill it up again." 

    Marston was still chuckling to himself after Langley had left the barn and he went about raking the wet hay. 

    He heard a rumble in the distance and for a moment, Marston thought perhaps the weather was going to turn but then the rumbling grew loud. Hoof beats. Thundering hoof beats were heading for the cabin. 

    Langley's scream filled the air. "Paaa!"

    Marston threw the rake, pulled his revolver and ran from the barn. He saw the men on horseback and saw the glint of metal on their chests. 

    Lawmen. 

    Everything within Marston, every instinct he'd spent his life honing, told him to make a run for it. But he couldn't. Marston had a family now. 

    These men looked like they meant trouble and they were riding, guns drawn, toward the people he loved. Marston had avoided capture a hundred times before when he'd only had himself to worry about—he wouldn't be getting away today.

    Marston snaked his arm around Langley's waist and hoisted the boy off his feet. He leaped over the porch steps and slipped inside, slamming and locking the door behind him. 

    "What's going on?" Rose demanded, wiping her hands on her apron. 

    Marston simply shook his head, took Kaitlyn's hand and shoved both her and a stammering Langley into the water closet. "You both stay in here, understood?" he demanded, his voice rough with fear. The children stared at him with wide eyes and pale faces but they nodded. "Rose, you get in there too," he added. 

    "I don't think so," she replied stubbornly, crossing her arms over her chest. Marston sighed. He hadn't thought she listen but he'd had to try. 

    Marston turned his attention back to his children and felt his throat tighten. "Langley, Kaitlyn, you both listen to your mama and mind her, you hear?"