Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Rose was awake with the sunrise the next morning. She had tossed and turned the entire night and had barely slept a wink.

She was ashamed at the way she had reacted to hearing of Marston's betrayal last night. She should have discussed things with him rationally but she had been so hurt to know that she had trusted him and he had looked at her body without her consent.

So many men had done things to her so many times even though she had begged them not to.

Rose was embarrassed to know that Marston knew what she looked like beneath her clothes. There was nothing beautiful about scars.

The scent of frying bacon reached her nose and Rose felt her stomach growl. Marston must already have breakfast cooking which meant he probably hadn't slept well either. Rose groaned as she got to her feet.

She had to face him.

Rose changed into her black wool skirt and white long necked and long sleeved blouse. The only visible skin was her face and her hands. She also pulled all her hair up tight on her head so not a single long red curl dangled down her neck. Her lungs were burning by the time she finished and so she took a moment to rest.

Grease popped in the kitchen and Marston mumbled something just before a skillet slammed and Langley's laughter filled the air. Rose knew she needed to get out there quick before Marston hog tied the boy.

Marston's gaze instantly fell on her as she stepped from her room. "Good morning, Rose," he greeted cautiously.

Rose gave him a tight smile. "Good morning, Marston."

"Well, I guess I better go out and feed the critters before I feed myself," Langley announced, clearly wanting to escape the tension in the tiny cabin.

He stood from his chair, hugged Rose tight and then darted outside.

"Did you hurt yourself?" Rose asked, when she saw Marston rubbing at his arm.

"I'll be fine," he assured her. "It's just a little bacon grease."

"Do you want some help with breakfast?"

"No, I can take care it. You're supposed to be resting," he replied, never once looking her way.

"If I rest much more, I'll be stuck to the sofa," she grumbled.

The hint of a smile tugged at the corners of Marston's mouth. He carried three empty plates to the table before laying out a platter of eggs, bacon and homemade biscuits.

"Where did you learn to cook like this?" Rose asked, hating the awkwardness between them.

Marston shrugged. "When there's no one around to cook for you, you learn to do it on your own."

Rose nodded and silence fell over the cabin.

"Rose, I'm sorry...."

"About last night...."

They both spoke in unison and quickly stopped speaking. Marston held up his hand as if he were a student seeking permission to speak in class.

"Go ahead," Rose urged before crossing her arms and chewing her bottom lip.

Marston leaned back against the counter. "I'm sorry I looked at you...." He began but then he stopped and shook his head. "No, you know what? I'm not sorry. I'm a red blooded man and you were a naked woman so of course I looked. But looking is all that I did. What I wanted to do was make love to right there under the spray of water, but I didn't."