Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Langley knew it wasn't safe for her to just run out of the cabin without ensuring it was indeed Marston but before he could shout a warning the woman was gone.

Langley sprang from the table and followed after her just in time to see Marston slip from Buck's back and take off at a sprint to meet his mama halfway.

Rose couldn't believe her eyes and her heart soared as she jumped into the familiar pair of strong arms. She breathed in Marston's scent and clung to him with fierce desperation as tears slipped down her cheeks.

"God, how I've missed you," Marston growled gruffly against her hair.

"I've missed you more," she vowed and his hold on her tightened.

"I wasn't sure you'd want to see me again," Marston admitted.

Rose pulled away just far enough to look up at his face. She stared into the golden depths of his eyes, laid her hand on his stubble covered cheek and offered her softest smile. "Of course I wanted you to come home."

Marston smiled and kissed her soundly. "Is the business done?" she whispered breathlessly after he'd released her lips.

Marston smoothed her hair from her face. "Yes, it's done." His eyes narrowed. "You haven't been sleeping."

"No, I haven't," Rose agreed, knowing that arguing would be pointless.

"You haven't been eating either," he accused.

"No... I've.. I've been sick to my stomach." She bit her lip. "There's something we need to talk about..."

"Pa?" Langley's voice came from the porch and reminded Rose that they weren't the only two people in the world.

"What is it Langley?" Marston replied, his worried gaze not leaving Rose's face.

"Who is she?"

Rose followed Langley's gaze and saw the young girl sitting atop buck. She was skinny, pale, had a scabbed cut on her cheek and appeared frightened and skittish as she watched them closely.

"Yes, who is she?" Rose questioned.

Marston stepped away from Rose and went to Buck. He took the girl by the waist and lifted her from the horses back before setting her on her feet beside him. "Her name is Kaitlyn," he replied. "She'll be staying with us now."

Rose swallowed hard. "Where did you find her?" she whispered, though she wasn't sure she wanted to know the answer.

Marston's voice was tight. "At Gilliam's."

Rose and Kaitlyn's eye met and each felt an instant moment of kinship—of similarity born from a common past. Rose stepped forward, dropped to her knee and wrapped her in a warm motherly embrace. Kaitlyn stiffened momentarily but managed to raise one arm and pat Rose's back.

"Kaitlyn?" Marston said once Rose was standing once again. The girl looked up at him questioningly. "This is my wife Rose. She's the lady I was telling you about. Gilliam adopted her too."

Rose smiled. "It's nice to meet you, Kaitlyn."

"Hi Kaitlyn!" Langley bounced off the porch, clearly having come to the end of his patience sitting quietly. "My name is Langley."

Marston tousled Langley's red hair. "Langley, why don't you take Kaitlyn to the barn and get Buck all settled in. He's wore out."

Langley nodded. "Okay pa. It sure is good to have you back. We've missed you something awful."